The church is the Fairview Presbyterian Church in Fountain Inn, SC on Fairview Church Rd. off Fairview Rd.
Fairview Presbyterian Church was established in the Fall of 1786 and is the oldest Presbyterian Church in Greenville County, South Carolina. The church was named "Fairview" in honor of the old gray stone church in Antrim County, Ireland, from which its founders came to America in 1773.
Three Peden brothers, John, Samuel, and David Peden, established the church with their nephew, James Alexander, and good friend, James Nesbit. They originally built a small log house of worship at this place. The land was granted in lieu of payment to the soldiers of the Revolutionary War.
Our present building is the fourth one, and was completed in 1858. The square columns of the portico contain brick from the previous sanctuary on this location. The building is on the National Register of Historical Places, being considered a "fine example of the vernacular classic revival widely used in the deep South until 1865" (Clemson University Department of Architecture).
On these grounds in 1861 a group of men gathered to form the Bozeman Guard which marched to the defense of the Confederate States, joining with General Wade Hampton in Columbia, South Carolina.
In our rock walled cemetery are buried several Revolutionary War soldiers, as well as forty-six Confederate soldiers. The oldest marked grave in the cemetery is that of Elizabeth Alexander, 1797.
Now that the leaves are off the trees you can also see the church from Fairview Rd when coming from Hwy 418.
Now for the the new tag, its SC's only remaining covered bridge built in 1909, restored twice and now is currently owned by the county its in. The bridge was named after the owner of a local grist mill that was in operation in the early 1900's.