Meadowville is located on Rt 92 about 6 miles north of Belington.
(The following notes are paraphrased from "The Handbook of the Linguistic Atlas of the Middles and South Atlantic States" by Kretzschmar, McDavid, Lerud, and Johnson) Click Here
and go to Page 273.
Meadowville, originally Glady Creek, was settled in the 1780s and 1790s, and in 1904 was still listed as a post village. Area was originally West Augusta County, Virginia. Fort built in 1784 by Henry Phillips, Welshman. Lumber, corn, potatoes, wheat, beef, and dairy were important resources in the area. Southern terminus for B&O and West Virginia Central Railroads. In 1940, most homes were farms and there were 5 churches. By 1974, few farms and only 1 church remain.
Historical Marker is actually located 6 miles south of Meadowville in Belington, about 50 meters north of the junction of Rt 250 and Rt 92. This is the view northbound toward Meadowville.
View north on Rt 92 - in Belington. Meadowville is 6 miles ahead (north).
Meadowville, WV. Nice, quiet community away from the hustle and bustle.
Rt 92 is a nice ride from Belington up to Grafton (you will pass the Anna Jarvis House - see previous post - about 10 miles ahead).