View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #49
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlr
Before this thread turns into a tire changing lesson. Some other care package items it have carried over the years in whatever bike I was riding at the time:

1. Assortment of zip ties.
2. Spare fuses.
3. Assorment of nuts and bolts (bike specific).
4. Small Rag (usually wrapped around the tools). Nice not to put greasy hands into your riding gloves.
5. Electrical tape, and duct tape on long trips.
These may be more general kit items and not so F8 specific, but sometimes the obvious gets overlooked.

I heard about the key ring issue and thought that it could be changed on the road?? maybe not so easy as first thought.

Also, the sacrificial plastic radiator holder/mount. It is relatively cheap$ and it designed to break away in a crash to help save the rad from damage. But, once it is broken, it may be hard to rig up some way to support the rad. Sooo, the actual replacement part will be part of my kit.
In regard to the replacement plastic radiator bracket ... it's not really a trail side repair. I just replaced mine a week or so ago and you have to drill out the rivets and put new ones in. You also have to bend the fins apart to get the back side of the old rivet out of the way for the new one. The radiator is pretty ugly when it's all said and done, but it still holds water.

I think it's safe to say that some safety wire or creative zip tie engineering will get you home if you break the mounts and are still holding water, which was the case with mine. I didn't even know I had broken the mounts until I washed it the next day. Everything stayed in place for the most part.

BTW ... I had to wait for mine to come from Germany when I ordered it because there were none in the US so I ordered 4 extra. I don't know if that's still the case. They're at my Farkle Fab site if anyone needs one in a pinch.