View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #54
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,122
Friday, Jan 30

On our trip from Portland to Vallarta, one thing Marc and I didn't get the chance to do much was ride secondary gravel / dirt roads. Chava suggested we visit Cuate, a "two hour ride" from Vallarta, up in the mountains where his grandfather had lived. We couldn't get lost, just ride 5 minutes south and turn left, inland, at the river. Easy enough and the fun began...

If you look closely, you can see the canopy flier gliding above the forest...

Marc blazing away...the dirt was powdery at times, kind of like the ski slopes.

We had ridden for about an hour when the road forked. Stopped to ask which way and how long. "About an hour".

Rode another hour and asked again, how long to Cuate..."about an hour"

A couple of smaller ranchos, or communities. Some had some decent sport facilities.

We rode another 45 minutes and asked once again how long to Cuate. A guy in a car this time who had traveled this road a number of times. "From right here, it takes just over an hour" !!! It was already 1:30 and we had to get back by 4:00 'cause Marc was heading for Guadalajara with GF for the weekend. So we didn't quite make it to Caute, but it was fun trying!

One of at least 10 small river crossings...

And we're done! Nearing the hiway that takes us back to Vallarta...

That was it for my practice rides. Bike was working fine. Saturday I would get a new rear tire mounted and since Chava is a real estate agent, he promised to show me some neat properties for sale, in case I was interested.

Sunday, Feb 1 I would head for Mazatlán where I would catch the ferry for Baja!
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote