View Single Post
Old 02-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #61
pdedse OP
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,056
Tue Feb 3 continuted...

After breakfast in La Paz, started heading N on HI 1 around 10:00am. Didn't really have any expectations as to how far I would get today. I had along my camping gear (Marc and I camped out two nights on the way to Vallarta) and simply had in mind to camp another two nights. Extra gear to drag along, but I wanted to be able to stop wherever, and not necessarily in a town.

Got tired of the main hiway and found a little gravel / dirt section that paralleled it for a few hundred yards...it's a start.

I like the roadside memorials / shrines, abundant out here.

After Insurgentes, heading east towards Loreto.

Road that leads to Puerta Agua Verde...
Must return sometime with about 3-4 weeks just to explore as many of these as I can. As it was, I told my wife and children that I would be gone for only two weeks and wanted to adhere to that as much as possible.

Nearing the Sea of Cortez as HI 1 heads N towards Loreto...

Scoping out a possible camp site...

I rode on for a few mile more and around Nopoló met up with the BMW group of 4 (and 1 KTM) and they were half way through lunch at a roadside restaurante. It was around 4:00pm, and they suggested heading for Mulegé for camping, that there was still light. But I knew I would need some extra time to set up so I headed back S to the spot I checked out 12 miles before, near Puerto Escondido. There was a dirt road turnoff toward the beach, nobody around, about a mile ride and voilá...a perfect campsite with fire wood all laid out. Hmmmm. I didn't see anybody around to ask, so I figured why not.

Kind of spooky all alone, but the fire helped. I had a couple of freeze dried backpacking meals, but my water got to boiling and then tipped into the fire. Was too hungry to try again so I dumped two cups of cold water into the package. Tasted pretty good. Got the fire going again and no noisy neighbors this evening, slept great!

243 miles; 6 hours

pdedse screwed with this post 02-12-2009 at 10:13 PM
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote