View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #11
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Having narrowly escaped our first brush with Death, we could now consider ourselves to be on an adventure.

Somewhere in southern California we stopped for lunch at a Subway...we could stretch our legs, fill our bellies, and empty our bladders...and check out the rig..

Before we knew it, we found our Motel 6 in El Cajon. That was the beginning of "trailer security" parking, a wonderful end-of-the-day ritual that invariably took up a parking stall or two. With a variety of security possibilities at hand, it usually ended up with the "let's park it over the tongue" option.

A buffet next door to the motel served its purpose that evening.

We discussed our trip options another time or six...

Darren was loaded up with Lizard Lady routes on his GPS and had his laptop along for the necessary up,sideways, and downloads. I think it was at this point he discovered that his laptop (part of the rear seat stack of stuff) had suffered a broken screen. ...a tribulation had surfaced...

We couldn't quite figure out who to blame ...

Up bright and early on Monday, we headed down the delightful Hwy #94 to Tecate. The border crossing and paperwork went smoothly until the police told Darren he needed to move the truck while Mark and I were shuffling back from the bank to the immigration office...I believe he had a chance to drive in circles long enough for Mark and me to think he may have been arrested, abducted, or just tired of our company.

We found our way south through Ensenada and stopped for a bite somewhere north of El Rosario...

Mark's first tacos were a memorable event....the fact that we were all still in one piece was another. The bikes were behaving well and were itching to go..

Our destination for that day was El Rosario and the deluxe Baja Cactus motel (just next door south of the Pemex)....About $40 for a primo room... Alphonse runs a great spot

Mama Espinoza's is next door. While it is famous for its off-road history, it is becoming less famous for its food. Our experience with finding the "right" place to eat in El Rosario left us all a bit frustrated.

The next morning we were on our way.

Now, to give you a trip context, I need to say that our plan was to travel the entire Baja peninsula with the truck and trailer, stopping in various places along the way to act as "basecamp" locations from which we would ride.

We had initially considered Bahia de los Angeles as our first destination for several days, but decided to bee-line it to the South Cape where it was warmer.

The stretch of desert from El Rosario through to Catavina is one of my favourites as the flora in that area is unique. Trying to get Mark to look out the window was challenging as he was glued to his GPS....for much of that section.

I reassured him that if he was uncertain as to his whereabouts, he could look out the window

If my memory serves me well, we made it to Mulege that night.

We stayed at a favourite....La Hacienda. As the only guests there that night, we knew it was all ours...just us and the hundreds of spirits of riders over the years...

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote