View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #22
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
For those of you who have never done it, when down at Los Cabos (The Capes), there is much more to the experience than getting drunk in Cabo San Lucas and depleting the local fisheries by keeping the billfish you catch. San Jose del Cabo is the city where the airport is (just north of town) and is much more of a "typical" small city than is Cabo San Lucas....but as some experienced Mexico travelers have pointed out, all of Baja is a different beast than is the mainland.

I like to leave a very small footprint when riding...and as a traveler I try to get a feel for the local zitgeist, rather than blast through collecting miles.

But, again, I digress

It's off to the beach

Heading east out of La Playa, one follows a series of traffic circles that are part of a huge development plan for this area.

The road is paved for several miles until it heads down to the ocean....at this T-junction, you turn left (east) for the East Cape Road...

.... or turn right (west)....and if you turn right here you will go a hundred yards or so and find a Restaurant/B&B called Buzzards....
http://www.buzzardsbar.com

Once headed east we stopped for a safety meeting....just to stay clear of the occasional "Quad Tours"....you know, the ones where a guy leads a bunch of inexperienced gringos along roads at unsafe speeds, all wearing bandanas and polo helmets...

We waited forthe dust to settle and took off...

The ride to the beach had been scouted earlier and we found a few beaches which appeared to be public (a bit difficult to find along the ECR as much of the property is "private" and has recently begun to be "guarded" by small "security" campos....)

The area we decided on had easy access and the palapas said "C'mon down"...

We accepted the invitation...

No one to bother us to the east...

....and no one to the west....

So we plunked ourselves down and went at it...

This was a virginal first for Mark, so that was a treat for Darren and me almost as much as for Mark...as he had never jumped into the ocean before...

He had to scout it out for a bit at first...."just to figure out how the sets were forming"

Darren kept a watchful eye...doing his best lifeguard thing...

Before long, we were all in the water playing in the 3-5 foot waves having the time of our lives....

Playing around like a bunch of kids....it was great spending the afternoon in the water, sipping beers, and catching rays...

As the shadows began to get longer, we took the hint and slowly packed up for the ride back...

Truly, one of the best days of the trip....:jk am

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote