Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Agree with all of this.
However, NUMBER 1 RULE: Everyone must carry beer for the ride leader. The only person who followed this rule yesterday was JohnGil
The way I ride through whoops, I don't think anyone would want me to carry beer. Next time, I can't wait to join you guys. Sorry to hear about all the mishaps and injuries.
As for rules that I live by...
1. Don't ride over your limit.
2. Use common sense.
3. Always wait for the next guy at a fork in the road. As you take off, make sure he waits for the next guy too.
4. Don't follow too close to the guy in front of you. (This leads to #5)
5. If you eat shit or almost eat shit in a ditch, hole, etc. and the guy behind you is not on your ass, be sure to wait and flag the guy so he doesn't do the same thing you just did. When racing, unfortunately I can't tell you how many times I've been run over.
6. Don't blast over a hill without knowing what is on the other side (other rider, ditch, canal, etc.).
These were taught to me by my old man when I was 7 years old and I've never forgotten them (except for #2 - sometimes I like to urban explore in out of bounds areas)