View Single Post
Old 02-23-2009, 07:25 AM   #50
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny
Nice job........what year R80 did you start with and how much do you think should be budgeted (excluding R80) for such a project? Yes I am a thrifty shopped
This thing was a 1984 R80ST when this all began. Adding up all the major items I've sunk about $4700 into this thing, but I'm pretty much done as far as spending is concerned. The only reason I went as far as I have is that I got the bike itself for free, so at least I haven't pushed this project too far into the red. Then again this price doesn't include all the small stuff like fasteners, electrical connectors, cans of carb cleaner, tubes of loctite, etc and those can add up too.

Was it worth it? Yes, I think so. I know right now that I'm going to be keeping this bike for quite some time. In fact, I may very well ride this thing until it just can't be fixed anymore. If this were like any of the other 10 bikes I've had, I wouldn't put nearly so much work into it. Projects like this aren't a calculated rational act based on sound logic. They certainly aren't profitable. Realize up front that you're not making the bike more valuable. You won't get any more money out of it when you sell it, but consider what else you will get out of it before you sell it. Consider the good times, the knowledge gained and the places it takes you, and you may consider it cost effective. I know that what I've gotten out of this bike so far has been worth every penny I've put into this thing.

If you want thrifty then look elsewhere. You'll pay a premium for making major upgrades to R bikes, especially those of the dual sport variety. You really have to like these things to justify the expenses to yourself. The trouble is that these bikes are pretty tough not to like. As far as regular maintenance is concerned though, these bikes are pretty cheap to keep running.

Thifty, huh? They make these bikes called KLR650s...

EDIT: some typos. woops

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 02-23-2009 at 07:38 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote