View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 02:58 AM   #11
undersea4x2 OP
Big Bore wanna' be

Oddometer: 274
smania 2 up x 3 bikes

Day 3 Hobart to Bicheno via Port Arthur.

After a walk around the Salamanca Markets in the Morning we were off to Port Arthur, a Penal settlement that was Tasmanias first industry.......The transportation of misery.

As you can see they're still dealing out the punishment.

looking back to the settlement from the ferry.
The ferry gives you a small trip on the harbour to see....................

The Isle of the dead. This is where over 1000 bodies of prisoners and guards and settlers are intered.
The Authorities or on the upper tiers of the Island and the prisoners are in unmarked graves on the lower parts.

The church was for most of its history non denominational as apparently the catholics tryed to claim it at one time and the Prodies refused to go into a Catholic Church. It may have been the other
way around here though....................I dont want to get anyone off side here, just trying to paint a picture.
After the prison was closed the buildings were sold off and ment to be moved. Some stayed and were burnt in 2 bushfires that swept the area and thats why its ruins now.

The road at Eaglehawk Neck

From here we went to Bicheno for the next 2 nights and a day walk to Wineglass Bay on Freycinet Peninsula

We travelled to Coles Bay on Freycinet Peninsula next morning ,its only 50 k from Bicheno and after getting a Parks Pass we went to the carpark at the start of the walk.Here's the crew in walking attire.......we look fitter here than when we got back ................great walk though!

Overlooking Wineglass Bay

On the beach
After the walk we were recommended to go to Cape Tourville Lighthouse. We were also promised that there was not much walking involved so we rode the 6 k's and found these views back to Wineglass Bay

Absolutly brilliant

After another night in Bicheno we were on the last day and still about 400k's back to the Ferry in Devonport to go so it was planned for an early start until.............................
The old dames next door had to have a ride on the bike...........

Shame she picked the KTM..............we had to refuel.............again!

She did return the favour by taking the group shot for up but why can some people never get the hang of the focusing of digital cameras?.........just push the button a little bit and then push it down.

We decided to go to the Elephant pass Pancakes for breakfast............goooooood choice!!!

They may have seemed a little touchy about some things but the pancakes were good

Didn't see them get him to do this but................so true!

So we went on to St Helens and Bridport on the way to Devonport.
Heres a shot of the entrance to the bay at St Helens
from here it was so more great bike roads to Devonport and then the ferry back to Melbourne

Here's a blurred shot of the sunrise over Melbourne......the day turned out to be 38C and was the start of the hottest 3 days in the Cities history and a warning to what we had 2 weeks later............

Hope you enjoyed this little review of my Tassie trip and now I'm going to see if I can work out how to get more photo's out of my computer and on to Smugmug................not easy for a nuff like me.

Cheers

Under

But how to dance in the rain.'

My RR's
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482773

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=tassie
undersea4x2 is offline   Reply With Quote