View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #69
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
The dish with a sheep skin I am set!
Thank's for the inspiration HighTechCoonass and giving me the guts to put the knife in my seat! I added a gel pad so I thought I might as well share my little project with you guys.

This is what I did:

I found it easiest to remove the staples with a knife. Then I put som marks on the foam so I know where to cut

Then some proper tools. It works great to cut the foam with the bread knife greased with some vegetable oil.

2 minutes later...

Then I made it a bit smoother.

Hmm... Maybe we should think about the passenger also. And recycling can't be wrong these days. The peace I cut out fits just fine behind the drivers position.

Then it's time for the gel. It's quite common to use gel products when horse riding, so I went down to a store that carries stuff for that and bought this one. It's the size of a horse saddle, 7mm thick and costs about 50$.

Maybe something like this would be nice...

So I cut the gel to fit the seat

Added a 4mm thin layer of foam on it to smoothen the edges a bit

And Volia! After 30 minutes with the stapling machine I got this result

Now I just need to wait for that snow to melt down.... The seat really feels much better like this and hopefully I won't have my dear wife sliding forwards all the time when we are riding 2 up.

I think the most important thing is to get the seat a bit wider. But the gel pad feels really nice too.

lawe screwed with this post 02-28-2009 at 08:42 AM
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote