View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #38
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Publisher

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 0
Here's a link to that abrasion test. Someone just happened to post a link to it on another board a week or so ago. It was Cycle that conducted the test

It's an interesting read. I'd like to see it updated to test some of the newer textiles that are in riding gear today.

http://www.trainwreckstudios.net/abrasion/
That was a very interesting read. But, I would have liked to see a little more about their methodology for testing. Here's what I'm thinking:

If a rider goes off the bike at 60 mph, he/she does not slide continually at 60 mph until the fabric wears through. They are probably going 60 mph only at the moment they hit the pavement. From that point, they are slowing down dramatically until they come to a stop. The study above does not appear to account for this variable. I think the studies suggest that leather and kevlar fabrics are better. I certainly would not dismiss the studies, but a better method of testing is probably warranted.

The poll I am taking on my web site is very close 50/50 armored pants vs. jeans. I should have thrown leather into my poll. Remember, my poll is not scientific, but rather a survey of interested readers.

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650.
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote