View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #45
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
[quote=bacon]
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Why waste the money. For double the price of emulators you can just do this, and gain 20 times the handling, strength, adjustability and gain 3" of travel.

Forks and triple clamps $126 on Ebay
Longer brake line $40 from Deering Ind
Excell rim w/tire $26 Ebay
Brake caliper $49 Ebay
Total $241
I think you payed to much for that front caliper
But seriously not how about a parts breakdown and problems you ran into.

ET Chief - thanks for looking into the Uni Filter for me

Bacon,
Check out the "Yamaha forks on BMW" thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399113

Rob (NOT) and I both have a similar solutions with a similar goal of making the Dakar handle better in off road conditions. I was concerned with the on-road braking and wheel bearing longevity therefor wanted to keep the OEM wheel in my set-up. I used the Yamaha 46mm KYB forks like Rob, but I designed and built a custom axle and brake hanger to keep the OEM wheel with the OEM 300mm X 5mm disc and 30/32mm 2 piston caliper in tact.

Regarding the parts and problems...stay tuned for a complete write-up on the whole procedure...I have been keeping notes and taking pictures throughout the process.

I am also having springs wound and new valving for the forks so they match their new 400+ pound application.

Rob has ridden his bike and has some first had experience about the improvement. I haven't had mine out yet so I can't make any claims about how great it is...yet. I am about 80% complete.

If anyone wants more info or better pics feel free to PM me.

Rad
JDRadman is offline   Reply With Quote