View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #179
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,861
Tory Camps / Seneca Trail - Randolph Co

The term Tory or Loyalist was used in the American Revolution to describe those who remained loyal to the British Crown. At the beginning of the war, it was estimated that as much as 40% of the American population were Tories.

To read more about Tories: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tory

The Shawnee Trail was the white settlers' name for an American Indian trail in what is now eastern West Virginia. The name Shawnee came after said group of Native Americans followed the trail our of the region after burning Fort Seybert in Pendleton County, WV. It was a segment (or branch) of the much larger Indian trail network known as the Great Indian Warpath (GIW), which stretched from New York to Georgia. The GIW was referred to from this point north as the "Seneca Trail". Thus, in pioneer days, the segment known as the Shawnee Trail was often also referred to as the Seneca Trail.

To read more about the Seneca Trail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawnee...(West_Virginia)

Historical Marker located on Rt 33/55 about 2 miles west of Harmon. (Side 1 - You are facing west if you are reading this) I rode around looking for the camp remains for an hour with no luck. The closest I think I got was a locked gate just off CR29.

Looking westbound on Rt 33/55 starting up Rich Mt. (A whole history lesson in itself, from what I'm beginning to understand)

From the top of Rich Mt, looking east toward Harmon. The Historical Marker would be about 2 miles ahead and to the left. The Tory Camps would have been in this valley.

Side 2 of the same marker. You are facing east if you are reading this.

View eastbound on Rt 33/55. Harmon is just ahead about 2 or 3 miles.
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote