View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #180
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,006
Seneca Rocks - Pendleton Co

Possibly the most-recognized landmark in all of West Virginia, Seneca Rocks is located about 35 miles due east of Elkins.

Seneca Rocks is part of a series of outcroppings known as the "River Knobs" that extend from Cherry Grove to the Seneca Rocks area. There are several "razorback ridges" or "fins" along this line, including nearby Champe Rocks (see earlier Post). To read more about the River Knobs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Knobs_(West_Virginia)

Seneca Rocks features a 900-foot sheer face of Tuscarora Quartzite, which attracts serious climbers from all over.

For more information and history of Seneca Rocks, visit the Forest Service website: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/sp/senrcks_txt.html

Seneca Rocks is very special to me because I used to bring my grandparents out here in the 70s and 80s from their farm in Petersburg. We would often come out on Sunday afternoon after church to picnic and watch the climbers.

When I retired from the USAF, they asked if I would like my retirement flag flown over the state capitol or Washington DC. I said I would like to have it flown over the Seneca Rocks Visitors Center. The Park Ranger at the time, Sue Grafton, graciously agreed, and now I have one more reason to be sentimentally attached to this site. I have it written in my will that my ashes be spread from the summit of the rocks. What better final resting place than this?

Historical Marker located on Rt 33/28 about 100 meters south of the intersection of Rt 28/55 with Rt 33/55 and Rt 33/28.

View of the Marker, Seneca Rocks Visitors Center, and of course, Seneca Rocks.

A little better photo from last fall.

View along the top - now you know why they call this formation a "Razorback" or "Fin".

My son and I on the summit. Great view!!!
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 03-16-2009 at 01:40 PM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote