View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #57
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
We all got F***ed when buying a friggen BMTroubleyou F650 dakar to begin with.... Overpriced, overweight, SLOW, P.O.S that absolutely sucks off-road! (same with the F800 by the way) It's a road bike with big wheels. May as well blow another 10 grand trying to make the bike something it will never be like the original owner of mine did! It's the nicest Dakar I've ever seen and it still doesn't hold a candle to the DR650, which is half the price.

WP suspension w/TT triples, excel wheels, and just about every guard, lever, foot peg and farkle that TT sells and the bike still sucks compared to my simple, cheap and reliable DR650. The Dakar is an overpriced KLR at best!

That's becuase the bike still weighs too much the way you have it set up. With all of the shit you have on that bike, it weighs well over 400lbs. Just those lame engine guards you have add 15-20 lbs to the bike! You can strip a Dakar down to around 340-350(mine wieghs 338lbs) and they will do anything a DR650 can do. I ride with some damn good ex-racers who ride DR650's, KTM 690's, KTM 640's, XR's, etc, etc, and I have no problem doing anything they can do just as fast and half of the time out in front of them. And I always end up riding my bike home....they have to trailer theirs most of the time, either because it broke down, or they are too warn out from riding it for 500-600 miles in a weekend.

Have you actually taken the time to learn how to ride the bike?
True, they don't handle like anything else I've ever ridden in it's class either, but I wouldn't say worse......just different. It takes a while to figure them out.....Just like women .

I'll tell you I'd be pretty damned pissed off too if I spent $4200 on a TT/WP suspension system, when you can get a better set up for less than 1/10 the price with the Yammie YZ set up. A friend of mine has the TT system and I have the Yammie. I think mine rides better and is definitely lighter. And I can buy ten more if it breaks before I've spent as much as him

In the set up you have your bike in now, I'm sure it weighs 50-60 lbs more than the DR650, so no wonder it doesn't handle as well. So my suggestion is, ride it like the street bike it is with good suspension in the current set up, or lose about 50lbs and then make the judgment. Otherwise, if you're that unhappy, just ride the DR and sell the Dakar. I'm sure there's another sucker out there who'll pay too much for it, thinking just because it has a decent suspension it's an offroad bike.

Cheers!
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote