View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 03:46 AM   #202
pnoman OP
Just Average
 
pnoman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Morgantown, WVa
Oddometer: 2,034
Halliehurst/ Stephen Benton Elkins - Randolph Co

Located on the campus of Davis & Elkins College in Elkins.


In 1889, Senator Stephen Benton Elkins chose the site for what was to become one of West Virginia's grandest homes. Set atop a steep hill, the site overlooked the newly-founded town that bore Elkins' name; the mansion itself was to be called Halliehurst in honor of Elkins' wife, Hallie Davis Elkins.

From the beginning, the 56-room, 23,000 square foot mansion was hailed as a showplace. It was patterned after a castle on the Rhine River that Mrs. Elkins admired while visiting Germany. New York architect Charles T. Mott created a sprawling three-story plan which featured exterior walls of lapped siding and cut shingles, a steep hipped roof, large towers and turrets, numerous dormers, and tall stone chimneys. Later, rambling porches were added to the front and north facades.

Interior features included rich oak paneling, and beaded trim work, and massive fireplaces framed in marble with hand-carved wooden mantelpieces. It became the setting for elaborate social occasions, political caucuses, and business gatherings which attracted the elite from the region, including President Harrison, Andrew Carnegie and James Cardinal Gibbons.
After her husband�s death, Hallie Elkins and her family continued to spend their summers at Halliehurst. In 1923, however, she offered to deed the entire Halliehurst estate over to another of the family's endeavors, Davis & Elkins College. Halliehurst then became the focal point of the new campus, and found new life as the college president's home. Later uses included a woman's dormitory, dining hall, music and arts classes, and finally a counseling center.
Today, the venerable mansion is completely restored to the style and spirit of its original decor, and houses the office of the president and other administrative offices. (Notes from Alpha Associates Website)




Historical Marker - Side 1 - located on the junction of Rts 219 and 33 on the western side of Elkins, near the entrance to Davis & Elkins College.




Historical Marker - Side 2. That white sign off to the right in the background is the entrance to Davis & Elkins College.





View eastbound into Elkins.



Halliehurst mansion on the campus of Davis & Elkins College.
__________________
Retired USAF MSgt - Bandsman & Paralegal
2007 Suzuki Burgman 650
WV Historical Markers Project
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote