View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #204
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,960
Towers School - Harrison Co

Located next to the city parking garage on 2nd St and Hewes Ave in Clarksburg. The marker is listed as missing, but was relocated about 100 feet away on a landscaped traffic island in front of the Methodist Church on 2nd St.

School was held on this property every year from 1795 until the 1980s, except from 1861-1865 when the existing building was used as an Army hospital and prison.

The first facility was the Randolph Academy built in 1795. In 1843, that building was replaced by another, becoming Northwestern Virginia Academy. That building was razed in 1895 and the next facility became Clarksburg High School until 1913, when it became the Towers Elementary School.

The school was closed and torn down around 1990.

Historical Marker located in front of Methodist Church on 2nd St between Pike St and Hewes Ave.

The empty lot where the school stood is between the parking garage (on the left) and the abandonded Central Jr High School (the dark red brick building peeking around the corner on the right from behind the church). Straight ahead of my bike, the spot in the wall where the steps went up to the front door is filled in with cement blocks.

A view of the marker and Methodist Church from the other direction.

The Towers School in it's original form. Note the pointy spires that are missing on the next photo. Also, note the Central Jr High School was not built yet (see next photo).

After some renovations, the Towers School looked a little more "modern". Note the Central Jr High School is now it's neighbor to the right. (That's where I went to 7th & 8th grades). Remnants of the front wall by the sidewalk are still visible in the 2nd photo above).

Now the Towers School is gone, and the Central Jr High School is abandoned and boarded up. (Too expensive to tear down with all that asbestos we enjoyed breathing as young adolescents )
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote