View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #219
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,003
Stalnaker Plantation & Cemetery - Gilmer Co

From WV County Comissioners' Association Histories Website :

http://www.polsci.wvu.edu/wv/history.html

In 1816, William Stalnaker received a grant of 30,000 acres in the county for his service as a Lieutenant in the War of 1812. Gilmer County became home to many veterans following the war of 1812, including George H. Beall, Townshend Beall, Joseph Bennett, Alexander McQuian, and James Farnsworth. He built a temporary home and brought his family (wife Elizabeth and son Salathiel) and twenty slaves to the site of an abandoned Indian village on the Little Kanawha River, near the mouth of Mill Seat Run. By 1820, his tobacco plantation was doing very well and he had a two-story brick mansion constructed on the property. A second mansion was later built on the property for his son and, on March 24, 1845, it served as the meeting place for the first session of the Gilmer County court. By that time, a large number of families lived in the area and it was known as DeKalb, named by William Stalnaker in honor of his hero Johann, Baron de Kalb, companion of the Marquis de Lafayette. [End]

Historical Marker (Side #1) - Located on Rt 5 about 10 miles west of Glenville, and just west of DeKalb.

Same Marker (Side #2) There were no directions given to the cemetery, and I was not able to spend enough time to find it. Another day, I hope.

Not much of a scenic turnoff, but the rest of the countryside is nice!
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is online now   Reply With Quote