View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
I've heard this before!

Recently somebody- was it Sgt Marty? in Argentina had major KLR engine problems. If you read the blog and the ride report, you'll see that nothing about getting his bike fixed was "fairly easy."

20 years of travel... gosh that's awesome. Don't you want to take a bike that has a history of lasting 20 years? I'd take an R100PD or even an R85GS.
Do you know the history or Sgt. Marty's KLR? His bike was hastily rebuilt by amateurs before he left the USA. So it finally blew. Frankly I'm impressed Marty made it as far as he did.

Real question is .... how many KLR's have successfully made the trip? done the miles? Answer? Plenty. Fact is, KLR's do have a few issues (Doohickey, sub frame bolts) but once dealt with become fairly bullet proof
travel bikes capable of big miles.

I like the old Air heads but they might be a bit big/heavy for a girl rider compared to a DRZ400 or KLR. Both bikes are pretty reliable and CHEAP.
I've owned both. Solid bikes.

Having the same bike, IMO, is not strictly required. Nice at times but better to be riding bikes you are comfortable on.
Quite an ambitious plan for sure. I'm sure it's structure will "evolve" constantly, be revised and edited as it unfolds.
You've both lived and worked in other cultures so you know what your getting into. Having relevant skills is a plus but
sometimes getting past legalities can be challenging. Don't give up!

You guys sound like first class scroungers and both probably have PHD's in Improvisation.
Have fun ... hope you find what you're looking for!

Django Loco screwed with this post 03-31-2009 at 12:06 PM
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote