Thread: Noob in Namibia
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Three Dawg OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Saw some camels along the way. Somewhat unexpected...

Anyway, moving swiftly on, accommodation in Calvinia was in old servants quarters with a distinctly rustic (but clean and tidy) feel. Lighting was mostly by oil lamps. Don't knock one reaching for a drink 'cos you'll grab it and the glass bit gets farkin' hot. Nineteenth century technology, and I can't cope! Dinner was in a restaurant so dark you could barely see the plate. Still didn't order the curried gizzards!

Next morning, ready to rock and roll. Hey, one day on dirt roads, no offs, got this adventure riding sussed.

Just before we leave Calvinia; shouldn't every town have something truly daft in it?

Next stop, Augrabies Falls. This was mostly on tarmac so quite straightforward but it was very hot. The rest camp at the falls is excellent, although the paperwork at the gate was tedious and I really needed to get under a cold shower and take on more liquid so I wasn't too impressed by the delays. At the end of it the guard asked for ten rand. 'Er indoors asked why and the guy smiled and said "It is for me" At least he was up front!

Elton John as a lizard?

Next day, onwards to the Namibian border and our stop at Fish River Canyon. This is one of the most exciting road signs I've ever seen on a bike.

Border post humour...

This is more like it. Once through the border we stopped at the town of Karasburg. Dirt main street, people everywhere chattering away, hanging out, finally real Africa! I was so surprised at the difference in the feel of the place compared even to dorps in the sticks of SA I clean forgot to take any photos. DOH!

Amazing riding on our first day in Namibia. Good graded roads generally, but with some tricky wee bits to keep us on our toes. Next stop, the Canyon Roadhouse, yipsiree.

The Fish River Canyon is supposedly the second biggest after the Grand Canyon, but that's tomorrow. Today we tie the bikes to the bikes to the hitching post (is that what you call 'em?) and hit the bar.

Three Dawg screwed with this post 12-10-2011 at 09:53 AM
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote