Thread: Noob in Namibia
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
Three Dawg OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Yeah, we like Arizona too. Flew into Phoenix and rented a Mustang for that trip. Loved it, but too cold for a bike and the Mustang was fun especially on Route 66. BTW, we met a couple on that trip from NYC who had never heard of the Mother Road. Bankers, I think

Anyway, back to Namibia. This was a tough day, lots of ground to cover and very hot- somewhere in the very high thirties celcius. It was all a bit much for this tyre it seemed. These (Italian) blokes were going to change the tyre and then drive THROUGH THE NIGHT to the next town. Mental.

Don't care what you're selling, as long as it's ice cold...
I did wonder wether buying one of those Camelbak things (actually a Kriega one) was a bit Ewan MacBoorman wanabe, but boy, was it needed. The heat and the effect of the breeze as you ride cannot be underestimated- it is SO easy to get dehydrated

I was mighty glad to reach the camp at Sossusvlei. Funky half tent things to stay in, much cooler at the front under the canvas. A dip in the pool shortly after we arrived was mighty welcome.

The view from the verandah was pretty good.

OK, the next morning (at six am AARGH!), Ghandi and his mate go to look at the sand dunes.

Into the reserve. Dunno if bikes are allowed, but anyway we were told there were lots of sandy bits, and Si Pavey I ain't.

The dunes are amazing, these stretch right to the sea about 100 miles away.

Three Dawg screwed with this post 12-10-2011 at 11:00 AM
Three Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote