View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 04:16 AM   #8
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser Cruiser
I will be Alaska this Summer (May-Jun) and I propose to rent an Electraglide from AK Riders Anchorage. I plan to ride in and around Anchorage - perhaps upto Seward or even Homer.

I would welcome suggestions on places to ride up to.
Not to "hijack" this thread too much but maybe someone else will appreciate my suggestions too.

Seward and Homer are great but Valdez is my favorite. It's also known as "The Switzerland of AK." It's a 320mi ride north then east of Anchorage. You go thru Thompson Pass which holds the record for the most snowfall in 24hrs in North America and where they hold extreme skiing, snowboarding, and snowmachine competitions. Then just outside of Valdez is Keystone Canyon that's only wide enough for the river and road with 600' cliffs on each side. Spectacular.

Since there aren't many roads up here, you'll see a lot of motorcycles everywhere and we're all friendly. Since you're just comin up to ride around keep in mind a bunch of riders can always be found hanging out at the intersection of the Seward Hwy and the Alyeska ski resort road about 40mi south of Anchorage. Gas stations and a bunch of little shops on the corner there. Fun!

Bruiser Cruiser, if you want even more suggestions or info, do a search or post up a thread in the Alaska Forum.

Wishing you all a wonderful journey, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote