View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #68
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva
I am in the process of setting up the xr for a large HID. I talked to ricky stator and he informed me that for the size of HID I am planning on using I would need a decent battery to help it start. So I purchased his 200w stator and rectifier/regulator.

Today I looked all over the bike and could not find any place to mount the crf 450 battery that I had just bought. It was the smallest that I could find here in the small town of Camp Verde. I finally decided on putting at the back of the bike behind the airbox. I fabbed up a battery box and mounted it. I wish the battery was a little slimmer but I think it will work ok. Anyone else try this?

Here are some pics of the box I made.

I now need to make a small plastic cover to put over the terminals. I tried the battery the other way but the positive terminal was too close to the mounting bolts, didn't want to short out the battery.

I will install the stator and regulator later this week. I am still waiting on some parts so I can fab the front light. I think I will use a trailtech cage to mount my reflector and ballast.

What do you guys think? Does it look ok or should I start over?

-John
i have a similar battery mounted on my bike using a tray sold by Baja Designs. the tray goes mounted above the engine behind the stator. the way yours is set up looks good but it will take a pounding, i wonder if it will hold in the long run. this is the best picture i have right now of my set up, the battery is right behind the e-start (previous owner install) i'd like to get rid of but love when i'm too hot and tired to kick it's a great location for the battery, well protected and solidly mounted to the engine.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote