View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #18
Douf OP
Limey Bitch

Oddometer: 770
In The Beginning

Have you ever been sat on your bike, riding along, and thinking to yourself: 'How the hell did I get myself into this?' Well - inordinate pack rat that I am, here's a brief presentation of the e-mail trail that became the source of all the subsequent mayhem. What began as a seemingly harmless conversation concerning bike purchases suddenly turned ugly when 'Prudoe Bay' was dropped innocently into the discussion. The rest - as they say - is history; and in retrospect, looking at the 'matter of fact' tone of some of Gary's prose, I'm really not sure how he felt about the prospect of having another inexperienced goober clinging to his coat tails. Amusingly, since I'm obviously so dazzled by the potential of making this trip, there doesn't seem to be any apparent concern on my part when Gary mentions 12K in 12 days either.

----- Original Message -----
To: Gary
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 7:10 AM
Subject: RE: Fun Forward.

Hey Gary,

I noticed you’ve added a V-Strom to the stable. Did you get the 650 or 1000 version? One of my KLR riding friends just put down a deposit on the 1000 a couple of days ago and he takes delivery on Tuesday, so I’m sure he’d be interested to get your take on it. I don’t know if I mentioned it previously, but I bought an ’01 Speed Triple a few months ago; not very practical but a lot of fun.

Phil

Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 8:43 PM
To: Me
Subject: Re: Fun Forward.

Hi Phil,

I got the 1000 . I bought it used w/ 1,800 miles with givi bags and crash bars.Tell your friend most 1000 V-Stroms have a hesitation problem below 4,000 rpm ( mine does). The fix is a power commander, I ordered mine last night.
I sold the Connie with 110K and in aug. I went to N.D. and Montana ( 5,600 miles in 6 days) completing all 48 states on that bike. Now I'm looking to do Prudoe Bay, Alaska with the V-Strom. My goal is 12K in 12 days but i'll give myself 14 for bad weather, next July, aug. My brother Joe is looking for a bike that will be able to make the trip but he's not sure about the 12 in 12.
You sent me a photo of your triple a while back. She looks like a lot of fun!

Gary

To: Gary
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 7:07 AM
Subject: RE: Fun Forward.

Gary,

If you want any extra company on the Alaska trip, just say the word! Can’t say I’ve done that many 1000 mile days, my best was 1100 with 300 miles of Colorado backroads, but it was on the last day of our trip, so I wouldn’t be too worried about my enthusiasm level. How hard could it be?! I assume you’d be looking to do a few interstate days of a good bit more than that, as maintaining 1000/day pace up the Dalton Highway might be difficult. The Alaska trip is the holy grail of US bike trips IMHO. I think the V-Strom would be a pretty good choice for that trip.

Phil

Sent: Monday, September 22, 2005 5:00 PM
To: Me
Subject: Re: Fun Forward.

Hi Phil,

This is the deal. I'm going in July or aug. another ironbutt guy is going and Joe is up in the air, but four people is a lot of people to stick together for 1000 to 1,200 miles a day for 12 days. When I did the Sturgis trip this year with the same guy going on this one, we only ate once a day besides the motel in the morning or gas station first thing in the morning, we start riding 1 hour before the sun comes up and around one to three hours after it goes down ( our gas stops are 300 miles apart and only take 10 min - besides the first one where I have a coffee, which I had to talk him into).and we covered 5,600 miles in 6 days with a lot of sight seeing.
If you had another person in mind to do this ride with you we will have to do separate groups and if we run into each other that would be great but we may not also. It's hard enough to cover these miles alone and a lot harder as a group. One other thing: we have to set up our bikes to have a range of over 300 miles to a tank. I'm putting a fuel cell on mine, My friend peter gets around 350 with his stock tank ( BMW 1200 RT ). Let me know what you think?

Gary

Douf screwed with this post 04-16-2009 at 09:28 AM
Douf is offline   Reply With Quote