View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Colorado CJ OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Custom Ammo Can V-Strom Install (Now Painted!)

I just bought an '09 V-Strom 650 last week and am in the process of getting it ready for some longer rides. I really couldn't see spending $700+ on some panniers, so I decided to mount some ammo cans.

I also couldn't see spending $200+ on a luggage rack to mount my $12.00 ammo cans to, so I welded up my own. I used 1.25" angle iron and 1" strapping for the rack. I've looked over many other racks and I think mine are stronger than most, and only cost me a few bucks . I also didn't have to relocate any lights

The rack is held on by 8 bolts, and is in one piece, so I can install it and take it off the bike in 5 minutes. Width with the cans mounted is just under 40". I wanted to keep the cans mounted symmetrical as I wanted space for a tool tube and don't care for lopsided looking mounts. I'm not completely done with it yet, I just need to build some sort of tool tube for the left side. I'll then sandblast/paint the ammo cans and rack.

Total time spent so far is about 8 hours and total cost about $30.00. Can't beat that.

Well, here are a few pics. Sorry that they are a little dark (don't mind the mess in my shop either).

Rack from the back:

Rack from the side:

Ammo cans mounted:

'09 DL650
'06 DR650

Colorado CJ screwed with this post 05-01-2009 at 02:47 PM
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote