View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
Boarder06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Germany to Iran and back

Hi All,

This report is about a trip on a Tenere from Germany to just South of Shiraz, Iran. I went to Iran in March for a snowboarding trip and liked what I saw and decided to return on a bike.

I'm new to posting here and I apologize in advance if I mess things up. I have read and learned on Advrider.com for a while now and just like to say thanks to all of you for sharing. I'd like to return the favor by posting this trip report. It might take me a while to keep up but the latest version should always be on my web page OnTheRoad.Adventure-Antarctica.de. I just have a much faster workflow posting there but I will keep this report coming. Promise!

I was set on a motorbike trip during my time off this year and just wasn't quite sure where to. I took a bunch of books with inspirational trip reports (thanks Striking Viking, among others) to the South Pole with me and they kept me and others entertained during the long winter there. Hopefully some more Polies got inspired and will set out soon.

Here are a few teaser photos to whet you appetite (I'll add more as I go along):

Dalyan, Turkey

Lycian rock tombs, Myra, Turkey

Mamure Castle, Anamur, Turkey

Tough choice in Kizkalesi, Turkey

Nemrut Dagi, Turkey

Altinsac, Turkey

Akdemar Kilisesi, Turkey

Near Turkish/Iranian border

Takht-e-Soleyman, Iran

Imam Mosque, Esfahan, Iran

Reunion at the Imam Mosque, Esfahan, Iran

Esfahan Woman, Iran

Esfahan, Iran

Mountain Road, Iran

Persepolis, Iran

Kids in Yazd, Iran

Iranian Workout

Iranian Election

Haman in Kashan, Iran

Motorcycle police in Van, Turkey

Nemrut Dagi crater lake, Turkey

Near Kars, Turkey

Ani, Turkey

Kemaliyeliler Tasyolu, the "Rock Road", Turkey

Cappadocia, Turkey

Blue Mosque, Istanbul, Turkey

Aya Sofia, Istanbul, Turkey

Monument of Communism, Bulgaria

Transfăgărăşan, Romania

Peles Castle, Romania

Wooden Church, Ieud, Romania

Krakow, Poland

OK, enough said. here we go:

Today was the day. The K&N air filter finally arrived yesterday and I could make no more excuses.

As expected the weather turned to custard as soon as I left home and I was riding through rain all the way to Munich. I ended up paying a heavy McCafe toll, hitting quite a few of them along the way for apple pie and coffee. In one of them the very nice old cleaning lady mopped up the wet trail I left across the store and kept mopping up the water puddle around a very apologetic me.

Just South of Munich the sky cleared for the first time and I could see the Alps.

My destination for today was a buddy’s place near Garmisch. The picture below is the view from his living room window.

Boarder06 screwed with this post 09-14-2010 at 02:42 AM Reason: Added teaser photos
Boarder06 is offline   Reply With Quote