View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
Boarder06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Meteora

I have been fascinated by the Meteora monasteries since I saw them as a child in the 1970s, much under appreciated, cinematic masterpiece “Jupiter’s Thigh”. One of the main characters is hauled up to one of the monasteries in a basket. The place just looked very interesting to me as a kid. When I found out that Meteora is near my route I had to visit.
All of the monasteries are now linked by roads and can be accessed via steps that have been added in the last century. So, it is just a matter of finding a parking spot between the coaches hauling in the geriatric crowd and climbing up the stairs. Some of the monasteries are really small and some of them are quite big. The main point of interest is usually the basilica with ancient frescoes depicting martyrs being killed in all kinds of gory ways in great detail.
During the day I met a Swiss guy on a KTM Adventure 950. We had a quick chat and he told me that he got soaked the day before and he needed to dry out his stuff. How lucky was I to stay dry! I had a great time exploring the area.
Looking toward Kastraki

Meteora monastaries

My Ten posing in front of one of the monastaries

Modern day cargo delivery

Basilica inside a monastery

Frescoes adorn the walls inside the basilica

Very spooky

I’m glad I don’t have kitchen duty here

Beautiful spot along a dirt road

At the end of a dirt road, after getting past some aggressive sheep dogs, I found yet another monastery
Boarder06 is offline   Reply With Quote