View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,307
My 950 Refresh or Mission Creep...

NOTE: So instead of starting a new thread every time I rebuild my bike or make some sort of change I've decided to just keep updating this one. It keeps it all more contained but also makes it a bit long. It is essentially a diary of my 950 Adventure and the changes I've made along the way.

- First teardown to the frame - 12
- Reassembly after powdercoat - 29-52
- New Brembo front master cylinder -post 60-74
- Beginning of second rebuild with 990 "Flanny Killer" engine - post 104
- Port comparison between 950 and 990 - post 130
- EFI timing gear install and 950 post mortum - post 149
- factory host crimp tool and second fan - post 159
- FCR inlet spigot tapering and TPS bracket - post 173
- beginning of exhaust fabrication - post 185
- screwing up exhaust flanges and subsequent welding - post 193
- exhaust spring anchor making tool - post 197
- stripping and prepping bodywork for paint - post 211
- fabrication of "X-crossover" - post 228
- first welding success - post 259
- resealing newly rebuilt wheels and exhaust layout - post 278
- more exhaust layout and tacking - 289 and 297
- final exhaust tacking - 332
- final welding of exhaust - 342
- fitting and first (disappointing) dyno runs - 352
- beginning of the bellmouth project - 433, 445, 452
- new exhaust mid pipes - 462
- first ride with the new pipe and the stock FCR's - 492
- first dyno test of custom billet velocity stacks for the FCR - 502
- the choke conundrum - can it be added to the FCR? - 596-?
- yes, we finally create a choke for the FCR - 655
- dyno testing the 41 FCR against the 39 -
- exploring the idea of a big bore kit for the 950/990
- the beginning of the two wheel drive Christini conversion - 771
- first test of the 2WD - 1027
- video of the worlds first two wheeled smoking burnout - 1125!

So I've got just over 33,000 miles on my bike and have enjoyed it thoroughly but it's started looking tired. With this economy I can't afford to buy a new bike and really, I don't think I'd want to as I love this one. But I just can't get past the fact that cleaning it doesn't do the trick anymore. I've worn through paint and I've worn through metal. I like a clean bike or at least one that has the potential to be clean and this one doesn't.

Last year I did a big trip with my girlfriend (her first) back from Colorado and then in the fall I rode the Pine Barrons 300 and crashed pretty good breaking my nose. I didn't touch the bike until a month ago.

The good part:

The not so good part:

And that is how my bike was left all winter - not even washed. It's a shame but that crash was so bad I was dizzy for well over a month and I had no interest in even seeing the bike. That and I had to move both my studio and my apartment so it wasn't until now that I decided to pull the 950 out.

I cleaned it but it was just beat. I thought about how I've always wanted to powdercoat the swingarm black and since it was still cold a few weeks ago I thought, "Why not?" and started pulling things off in a haphazard manner.

I actually regret the way that I started this as I didn't really anticipate pulling it down quite this much.

Normally I'd put every group into ziplocks and only use muffin tins for quick projects. I mentioned this to Chris, our shop whiz kid/engineer and he chirped, "It all only goes one place..." and while I got what he was saying in my head I was thinking "the garbage?"

Which brings us to "Mission Creep". In our shop Mission Creep is a serious disease which is costly, time consuming and sometimes rewarding. I'm hoping this case will be more of the last and less of the previous. The onset of Mission Creep is often recognized by the famous and damning phrase, "While it's apart..."

Here's the Mission Creep part:

Once the subframe and swingarm were off the shock was out. If the shock was out I might as well get that rebuilt but if I do the shock I should do the forks. If I pull the forks then I should have the RTT steering damper rebuilt and since that will take a week or two I'll go ahead and send the suspension off to James of Super Plush who did such an amazing job on my 525 race bike. Well, if the suspension is gone for a few weeks I should have Woody rebuild my old faded 17" rear wheel with a shiney new wider 5" rim. And if I do all that I've got time for James (Renazco) to make me a new seat since mine is now faded to brown with a lovely patina that just wouldn't look right on a clean new bike. See how this works?

Which brings us to here:

The problem here is that the frame is pretty tired looking and the paint is oxidized and if it's down to this I might just as well pull the frame and have it done as well right?

So my thought in starting this thread is to create the impetus to keep this moving. I have to keep this moving - it's getting warm and these projects are to be done in the dead of winter (what kind of idiot am I?). The problem is that seeing the bike down this far has me thinking of lots of things like repainting the whole bike or making my own custom stainless exhaust - I mean while it's apart...

sakurama screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 07:43 PM
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote