View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #39
Boarder06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Side to Anamur

During the ride today it rained on and off. Clearly, not a day for a beach holiday

I saw one Harley rider today. He had no rain gear. The Harley riders must be a tougher breed. Despite the rain it was an enjoyable ride with nice views of the coast and twisties going up and down the mountains.

Once I reached Anamur I found myself a place to stay, unloaded my bags and set out for Mamure Castle. It was originally built by the Romans and later enlarged and modified by the Byzantine Empire and the Crusaders. Rainy days have its advantage too. There was nobody around and I had a whole castle to to myself. There are no barriers stopping you from going anywhere. So I spent some time exploring!

I finished the day with a visit to Anemurium. The site impresses with the sheer number of structures and its great beach side location. The town was built between c. 100 BC and AD 600.

I later found out Anamur has mutated from the Greek Anemurium, meaning windy point. I wish I would have known that. I got almost blown off the road by a gust between Anamurium and the town.
Boarder06 is offline   Reply With Quote