I got a few hours today to work on it and impart some small bit of organization to the whole process:
I didn't quite get the frame off but I'm close:
But this rats nest has me a bit worried:
I remember once being at Loudon for a week when I raced a national 250 race and I watched the Erion team break a bike completely down to nothing. It was impressive how fast a bike became parts and they cleaned each and every single part and when the bike went back together is was better than new. After that I used to break my 125 and 250 down every few months or after a rain race and clean them like that. It was a great way to catch problems before they became problems but it's harder to do on a street bike.
There's so much dirt ground into every nook and cranny. It's going to take a week to clean once it's all apart. I'm still thinking about paint though...