View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 03:28 AM   #9
Tapeworm OP
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 15
Starting off the next morning with the usual bike maintenance, the plan was to stick to the coast all the way down to Pemba.

Accommodation in Mocimboa da Praia, with AC!

The port - most of the activity here is to run fresh supplies, water and building material to the exotic island resorts a few kilometers offshore.

The breakfast spot

The setup: Tank bag in front for spares, tools and map on top - use with gps on the fly, GL bag on the back (it takes a surprisingly huge load) with fishing rod on top. One thing that did not work well was the exhaust wrap i put on. It burned a couple of trousers while scooting through town, so i wrapped it - which worked, but as soon as i started throwing it down the twisties, my boot ate through the wrap and exposed the red hot mounting bracket for the original heat shield... guess the 60 engineers who designed it was right... so you learn... The Leo Vince pipe is just awesome, down here loud pipes saves lives.

With a few tidal rivers on our route, the locals advised that it will not be possible to cross some of them. Hence we kept on asking around until we found someone who said there is a slight chance that it might be possible. That's all we needed to hear and off we went.

Dense vegetation after the rains.

The reason why they call it elephant grass...

Halfway down our route, it turned out that those locals were right, it was not possible to cross the big tidal river on the coast and we headed inland looking for bridges.

Momentary laps of concentration for me...

...and 30 seconds later for Klavs...

Loosing a lot of time on this river loop, we had to steek it down to Pemba on some broken tar, which at least did not have any helmet high grass on it... Arriving in the dark we got accommodation, food and our dusty throats sorted out in no time at all.

Tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote