View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 01:52 AM   #1
Dutchman OP
Diskussionsleiter

Oddometer: 814
R1200GS Fuel Pump Failure

My recent trip to Germany & Holland was blighted by not one but two breakdowns apparently caused by the same thing, that the first dealer thought he had cured, but obviously hadn't.

If you remove the left hand fairing panel you see the fuel pump cover made from black plastic with slots in it.

After removing this cover, which is just a push fit, you'll see two electrical connectors & one quick fit fuel connector. The orange circle approximates the area which was filled with water when the first dealer removed the cover. The silver coloured component is the CanBus controller for the fuel pump.

Undoing two Torx screws enables the CanBus controller to be eased away from it's mounting. There is a rubber 'o' ring which seats between this component and the top of the fuel pump assembly.

When the blue push fit connector is released the CanBus contoller can be removed. The void below was also about half full of water, causing intermittent electrical shorts, which caused fuel pump failure, the symptom of which was just like running out of fuel, even though plenty was in the tank.

Here is the CanBus controller top & bottom view........the underneath is sealed with black silicone & the second dealer in Germany suggested that water ingress to this component was the definate cause of the breakdown rather that the now completely dried out electrical connections.

Replacing the CanBus controller has certainly cured the problem and I've now ridden about 500 problem free miles!!

Clearly there seems to be a design fault in a plastic cover, which is fairly obviously exposed to the weather when the bike is in motion, that then allows water ingress to an area containing three electrical connectors and where there is no drain for any water to immediately disperse.

For a motorcycle that is marketed as an all weather/all terrain vehicle this is quite simply unacceptable. The German dealer said he had replaced no fewer than five of these devices under similar circumstances and that he had, on each occasion, reported his findings back to BMW.

So that I am not further inconvenianced personally I shall devise a way of preventing the water ingress, but I have also written to BMW asking for an explanation.

Their reply will be published here.

Cheers

Dutch

DUTCHMAN

Dutchblog
Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote