Thread: The ADVstrom
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
brianjonesphoto OP
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,536
The ADVstrom

She complete! Yesterday was my first day back on a bike since my accident in July. I was off the bike for 9 months, 25 days, 20 hours, 22 minutes to be exact.

For those of you have don't remember (or care), an asshat cager made a left turn into my radiator while my wife and I were on a 2 lane back road. I was doing approx 43mph at the time of impact. I was riding an 07 650 ABS and my wife was on one as well. My bike was toast, her's was a superficial total. We bought both back as salvage. I de-farkled and parted out most of my old bike, and her bike became the foundation for the ADVstrom.

Before (my seat, tool tube, and center stand already installed)

Bent forks

Tweaked radiator

Busted Fender

The true cost of repairing the damage was under $800, but I took the chance to start with a "blank canvas" and build the bike I wanted.

Part's from my old bike
Rich's Custom Seat
Zumo
Tool Tube
Givi side racks
Pivot Pegs
Buel Signals
Zuk Centerstand
Hyper Lites
Motech Mirror extenders
Hula Girl
Naked Chrome Lady

The new parts list
Custom Fork Tubes 1" longer than stock
Race Tech emulators
Elka Shock adjusted for 1" rise
Murph's Brace
Touratech Skid Plate/Oil cooler relocation
Dirt Bike Fender
MadStad
LED Running Lights
Starcom Advance
Dual Star Grips
Gerbings Dual Temp Controller
BarkBuster Storm Hand Guards
Moose fat bar risers 50mm
Protaper Contour ATV High bars
JCW top box

Mods to come soon later date
SV1000 front calipers
Braided front lower lines

After

Dirt bike fender and LED running lights

I'm not sure what I think of the fender. It's made for a 21" wheel and I don't really like how it sticks out in front. I may try heating and bending it or even cutting it sorter.

LED running light in action

Made mounts from 3/16" ABS sheet and mounted to the stock fender mounts. They are wired to the heated grip socket

Fender Mount made from 3/16" ABS sheet

Pennytech adjustable folding shift lever and hockey puck side stand foot

Extended centerstand

Had a local welding shop add 1 1/4" to the length of the center stand legs to compensate for the 1" extra ground clearance. They did a great job for $40

The Girls

I can't ride without my girls. The hula girl lost and arm in the accident.

I put on about 150 miles yesterday and it felt great to be on a bike again. With all of the suspension mods the bike handles much tighter and feels more "planted" than my old bike did, but since it's been so long and so much has happen since I last ride can comment on details.

I know I did something unthinkable to most. I took a top heavy bike and raised it 1". I can no longer flat foot it, partly because I've lost a little flexibility in my hip. Part of it is because my seat's little too wide at the front. Luckily it doesn't feel too top heavy with a full tank of gas. I'm sure the first time I get in on a fire road and need to get a foot down I'll notice a difference.

Total cost of bike including salvage buy back $4500

Thanks

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote