Thread: Drz250 Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #67
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,446
2001 Dr-z250 Ek1

Okay, here's some info on my 2001 Suzuki DR-Z250 EK1, long gone now. This is a road-legal trail version. It was used as a commuter, road sports bike, casual trail bike, cross-country racer (novice level) and for short adventure rides.

Modifications:
  • Ventura pack rack with Gearsack bag
  • 3mm protective film on the headlight
  • Acerbis Rally II handguards (I don't recommend them!)
  • Tag X5 CR Hi-bend Gunmetal handlebars (OEM stuff bends in the forest)
  • ProGrip PG0792 Gont Gel Black-Yellow handgrips
  • XR-style rear indicators on short flexible stalks
  • re-valved rear shock with RaceTech end cap (OEM not serviceable)
  • increased fork oil height
  • second set of wheels with rimlocks, heavy-duty tubes and bigger sprocket
  • Chain Gang sprockets
The OEM wheels had road tyres normally, the second set the NHS MX tyres. Adventure tyres went on whatever wheel set I felt like at the time. More often than not, the road tyres were used for gravel adventures (not mud), where they were nearly as effective as many of the 'cut slick' closely-spaced adventure tyres... both types are a long way short of NHS intermediates.

Nil mods were made to the engine/ intake/ exhaust. Some bikes come with inlet & exhaust restrictors, this bike was the full monty, around 22 rwhp. A Staintune exhaust would save a few kg and add a few hp.

To convert to off-road, the whole rear assembly unbolts from the sub-frame: a heavy steel bracket that holds the indicators, mud guard extension, licence plate & lamp, reflector. Unfortunately I never got around to making an easy-access electrical connector to disconnect the wiring; I had to remove the side panels and seat to get to the OEM connectors. Remove the mirrors, swap wheels & front sprocket, remove the chain guard and front sprocket cover (actually they almost never went on the bike), optionally remove the front indicators. They were well protected by the hand guards, but heavy and I did manage to crack one on a rock. The Ventura rack came off, but mostly I left the L-brackets mounted.

Replacing the heavy glass headlight and its big heavy steel supports with a nice after-market plastic enduro headlight would have saved a lot of weight, and improved the steering.

This bike was a very versatile and cheap workhorse. It did have a couple of niggly issues though: it blew tail light bulbs like there was no tomorrow; and had a lean stumble on rapid throttle openings from low rpm, no matter how much carb fiddling I did, I couldn't get rid of it completely, neither could a couple of dealerships.

Enough chatter, time for some pics!

Street trim with road tyres:

and from the rear:

In off-road configuration:

And lastly, one in the field, in the rain:
The Stable
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote