View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
smilin jack OP
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Four day solo ride- Central Oregon

Christmas Valley Ride and Rabbit Hunt
May 23 to May 25, 2009

I went motorcycle camping SE of Christmas Valley, Oregon. The whole ride was a little over 510 miles, round trip. I stayed three nights and rode home on Monday. It was quite a trip for the little Honda (CB250 = 20 hp).

I left Lebanon on Friday morning (vacation day) with my saddlebags full, a tent, thermo-rest mattress, sleeping bag, food, cooking gear, and my rabbit hunting 22 rifle. I stopped in Sweet Home for fuel and rode over Santiam Pass on Hwy 20 to Sisters, Oregon and stopped for lunch. That was about a 90 mile trip.

On to Bend 15 miles, and south on Hwy 97 about 30 miles to La Pine for more fuel. Just south of La Pine, I turned east on Hwy 31 and rode the 80 miles to Fort Rock, Oregon. I stopped at Fort Rock State Park for a drink etc. It felt good to wash my face. The day was getting warm, so took off the First Gear insulated rain suit and tied it over the top box. It looked like a mountain of gear.

Rode on to Christmas Valley, Oregon and stopped for fuel and drinks. I rode until getting to the gravel road south of CV where I’d decided to go rabbit hunting. The gravel was easy to ride, but when I crossed a cattle guard, the road turned to deep powder dust. I was all over the road and even in the ditches, but got slowed to about 10 mph and ended up riding on the cow trail that was beside the road for about 6 miles.

Found my friends with the RV's set up for camping. The road had puff dust for miles. I ended up riding in the ditch some to try and miss the deep dust.

This is at camp after using a whisk broom and shaking off some of the dust.

I had dust shooting up my pant legs as my feet were in the dust on the dirt road. Everything got pretty dirty, including sand in my lace up boots. Seems that cattle trucks had beat the road into ankle deep flour dust and made riding pretty hard.

We went rabbit hunting for four days and I even got a rattlesnake.

The bike stayed parked all weekend. My neighbor hauled most of my gear home to make the load lighter for the nasty dirt road. That helped a lot, and the thunderstorm the last night helped pack the dust too.

The bike ended up getting 71 mpg for the whole trip and used $14 dollars of fuel. Later, Dave

smilin jack screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 01:34 PM
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote