View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 07:36 AM   #229
ABeef
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
I just ordered the CalSci Large F800GS windscreen. $185 retail. $202 shipped. The main reason I went with them is due to a lengthy talk with Mark, and because of this (quoted from the CalSci website):

"All our shields are laid out on a computer and cut with an industrial cutting laser. Our shields are symmetric to within a thousandth of an inch (.025mm). All mounting holes are also drilled with the laser, guarantying an excellent fit to your bike. This precision is necessary to be certain your riding experience will be precisely the same as all our other customers, and precisely what we engineered for your bike. Our windshields are
designed by Mark Lawrence and Carl Porter. Carl has a Bachelor's degree and a Master's degree in engineering from Ohio State University. Mark has a Bachelor's degree in engineering from the California Institute of Technology, and is currently working on a PhD in physics at the University of Southern California. Carl and Mark don't agree very well about college football teams. Mark has a bit more than 500,000 miles of motorcycle experience. It takes about 6 weeks, eight to twelve prototypes, and typically several thousand miles to finalize a windshield design. Our windshields are not just a stock windshield made a bit wider and taller. We build and modify our prototypes until the resulting windshield is quiet, comfortable, and attractive."

I am 5' 11 1/2" tall and have a 31" inseam. He recommended the large.

I'll report back after I test it to let you know if it's as good as they advertise.

x2

Durango to Santa Fe with the BMW touring screen and my head was pounding from the buffeting, turbulence and noise. As soon as I stood up the air was clean and I could actually hear my engine. All hail Cal Sci.