East of Phoenix Rider's Group

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by 750Volts!, Oct 21, 2010.

1. IBRiding

IBRiding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everyone, Just got in and would like to thank everyone for another great ride.

Bill
  2. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Over the bars? :huh

I thought you guys only did mellow rides?

:ear

:lurk
  3. James5150

James5150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hit a washout while on the pegs and tried to carry the front wheel over and forgot I was on a klr. Front wheel said no and rear wheel said lets go over. So i did:fallnuff said
  4. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Well good for you Paul, now I can stop & help you pick up a fat pig. Oh yeah don't forget to hit the gym---it don't help but you'll feel

better about picking it up :lol3 after all a 500# pig is still a 500# pig & it will spit you off and will get the both of you dirty &

the 500# pig will like it :rofl You ---not so much.
  5. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1!!:clap

Awesome day! Thanks Everyone!

BTW, Paul you can borrow the SE anytime.....Heheheheh.....
  6. kyre

kyre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I hope this is the right place to ask, but I'm going to be staying in Fountain Hills in ~March 15 and wanted to rent a bike. I was out there last year and rented a BMW R1200RT, which I thought was great (although a little clunky at low speeds). My wife and I went up to Snowflake then south through Show Low back to Fountain Hills, which was awesome although just a bit long for my wife. We covered about 380 miles.

Does one have a rental place they'd recommend? So far the front runner is http://www.azride.com. I'm torn between renting the BMW again, or going with the Ducati.

Any route recommendations?

Thanks!
  7. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great video DD. I felt you pain & exhaustion. My advice for what it's worth before this is no longer fun for you, get rid of that tank & get something more off road friendly & have way more fun out there:clap
  8. cyberdos

Oddometer:

Rent the GS again. And if she isn't scared of doing some of-roading follow this route.

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Fountain+Hills,+AZ&daddr=N+Bush+Hwy+to:AZ-88+E%2FApache+Trail+to:AZ-88+E%2FApache+Trail+to:El+Oso+Rd+to:Cline+Cabin+Rd+to:Fountain+Hills,+AZ&geocode=FebGAAIdR_dW-SnRfKVhkJgrhzE3MXF4NO-svg%3BFfeMAAIdaf1Z-Q%3BFcL5_gEdpCFb-Q%3BFa_EAAIddD5f-Q%3BFWeDAwIdOChe-Q%3BFfOsAgIdZOZb-Q%3BFebGAAIdR_dW-SnRfKVhkJgrhzE3MXF4NO-svg&sll=33.551696,-111.502991&sspn=0.719873,1.223602&vpsrc=6&hl=en&mra=mivtw&ie=UTF8&ll=33.551696,-111.502991&spn=0.719873,1.223602&t=m&output=embed" frameborder="0" height="350" scrolling="no" width="425"></iframe>
    <small>View Larger Map</small>

It's a fantastic and beautiful loop.

Point D is an easy dirt road.

from points E through F it's a little bit more rough but nothing too bad. Take your time and enjoy the scenery. I think you guys will love it.

click here if that link doesn't work.
  9. JayHawk

JayHawk Grandpa to 3, Great Grandpa to 7

Oddometer:
    Great vids DesertDog. You did an amazing job piloting your supertanker through all that sand :clap.
  10. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    It's cool to have narrated video. :nod

so did you guys like the Hangar Cafe? :ear

no need to sugar coat things with me. If it sucked, it sucked. I just like to know other people's opinions.
  11. kyre

kyre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is awesome! I rented the RT last time though, I've never gone off road, and this will only be my second time riding two-up... I don't know how well my wife would handle that either.
  12. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Well the good thing about that loop is that the easy part is on the front end. If once you get past point D (Roosevelt Dam) you decide things are getting too sketchy for you guys you can just head North on 188 until you reach 87 and take that back into Fountain Hills. It's all paved and still a pretty nice ride.

Like so.

here are some pics of that loop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    An all paved route would look like this.

And if you enjoy twisties I would recommend this.
    It's 300 miles but a great day of riding.

or you could rent a Harley and just cruise up to Tortilla Flat and back.

Good luck and hope you two have fun.
  14. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    Cool. Glad you liked it. I warned you about the small space/big crowd. I guess it's a better place when there's a smaller group. There's another one of these types of cafe's at the Mesa Gateway airport. A lot bigger but the food isn't nearly as good. It would have been pretty cool to go this weekend. They had WWII planes on display.

I think you're nuts. :lol3

I don't have a bike to do that sort of trip. My DRZ hates the pavement. :cry
  15. kyre

kyre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man, these routes make riding around Chicago pathetic.
    Thanks for your help! I can't wait to ride.
  16. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    I aint gonna lie
    riding here will make you want to pack your stuff and move.

I did just that. :D
    (Bronx transplant)
  17. kyre

kyre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After my ride last summer I've contemplated it. My in-laws have a place in Fountain Hills that we've been to a few times. I've loved the area and my wife would leave tomorrow if we could. I'm just not too sure about the job market out there.

I love the sun, dirt bikes, motorcycles, bicycles, shooting, peace and quiet... It's a great place.
  18. IBRiding

IBRiding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paul,

You know me, I'm in. This might be a little easier if we make it a overnighter but can tough it out if everyone would rather do it in a day. No matter what we need to do it before the weather gets hot.

Julio,

The food was great even it the place is little small but I would eat there again. I prefer most mom and pop places to any chain when possible and usually find much better grub.

Bill
  19. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    In part 3, do those orange pants make me look fat??:lol3
  20. rattlecan

rattlecan Caffeine Driven

Oddometer:
    No, but you can sure see your managerial skills handle that tire change. :lol3