Flat tracker and street tracker photos

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by jehu, Oct 5, 2007.

1. volbeat22

volbeat22 n/a

Oddometer:
    Here she is when I brought her home.

[​IMG]
  2. volbeat22

volbeat22 n/a

Oddometer:
    Mocking up some of my ideas.
    [​IMG]
  3. volbeat22

volbeat22 n/a

Oddometer:
    Finished bike. I'm still trying to perfect the jetting, but she's done.

[​IMG]
  4. Chuck Pryce

Chuck Pryce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job, she is a real looker!!!!
  5. volbeat22

volbeat22 n/a

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chuck.
  6. Pablo83

Pablo83 Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer:
    Build thread?
  7. volbeat22

volbeat22 n/a

Oddometer:
    No, I regret not doing one. I'm too busy to be a photo journalist!

I should do an after the fact build thread, just so others can learn from my build or steal ideas.
  8. MIOB

MIOB Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Jason F.

Jason F. Will Ride for Beer...

Oddometer:
    Well it was a miserable rainy day today, good thing the races were indoors!:clap

I volunteered to work track side flagging the indoor flat track races today at Calsonic Arena in Shelbyville, TN. It seemed to be a very good event and a good track despite a couple of holes that developed that we tried to fill, pack, and smooth during the breaks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Jason F.

Oddometer:
    There were riders age 6 to better than 60. It was hard to tell who was having more fun but I had the most fun watching these young guys dice for position.

[​IMG]
  11. Jason F.

Oddometer:
    They also included quads in the event today. That amount of power with the traction to back it up was a sight to behold. Not sure you could get me on one of those. I think the 2 wheeled bikes were actually safer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. jehu

jehu ∩HƏſ Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. east high

east high Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like someone got a little motorcycle on their pipe.
  14. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    For the love of all that is holy, please, somebody tell me that this ISN'T an XR750 with a Sportster engine and street title.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/3789047564.html

I absofreakinlutely do not need another bike, much less another project. Every detail I compare to the XR750 frame matches: the steering neck, the oil tank, the swingarm, the upper shock mounts, etc, etc.
  15. Donzzilla

Donzzilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's what it is. Some one took a good race bike and put some "Panster" abortion motor in it.
  16. GSMark

GSMark Just Love Bikes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, what Don said. ^
    I think that it would sell for more $$$ without the motor. Here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    Well, it's easy to dismiss the engine as some abortion. I doubt anybody would yank a perfectly good XR motor and then go to all that trouble to build something else. Probably had the engine pulled for a spare for some other bike, or maybe it grenaded and wasn't rebuildable?

In any case, somebody managed to fit two front heads, work out all the plumbing (intake and exhaust) and--worst of all--the cams. I don't think you can just swap some cams around or retime the ones in there.

I don't know the flow characteristics of the Panheads but, my guess is they may flow better than the stock Sportster heads. If not, finding two front Sportster heads wouldn't be tough.

Plus, it has a street title (not so easy to do in Kalifornia anymore).

I can't find anything else glaringly wrong with it...except cosmetics. That's a minor nit in the big scheme of things.
  18. skorpioskorpio

skorpioskorpio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Panheads have the ports for the exhaust and intake on the same side of the head. I forget who makes them but those heads are as rare as an XR frame and not simply 2 front heads. They are a mirror of the XR arrangement.
  19. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    You aren't making this ANY easier on me. Bad, bad man! :lol3

I tried to call and got rolled straight to voicemail. Maybe it's already sold.
  20. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    OK, went and looked at it a few hours ago. First: not an XR750 frame. It is indeed a Lawwill frame. The welds are gorgeous. What a chassis. The bike needs--or at least deserves--a complete cosmetic restoration.

There is no electric starter so it's kick-only. It's a 1974 engine and the bike is registered as a 1974 Harley Davidson. The number on the head tube matches the registration and it's non-op since 2004. The bottom muffler has a few dents. It could be sent out to one of those expansion chamber repair guys to fix that up. There is something inside the back of that muffler that looked like a glass-pack baffle but, I swear I could drop a tennis ball inside and it wouldn't stop until it got to the exhaust valve. Gawd it has to be loud.

The engine is a huge unknown. He swears it ran at one time but, the rest of the chassis is so unsorted that I have to wonder if the bike has ever been ridden. The gas tank is new. I looked inside and the fiberglass is flawless. Not a trace of modern fuel destroying the gel coat.

There is at least one broken fin on the rear cylinder head but, it's inboard of the carb so--not so noticeable. The inlet manifolds have giant gland nuts like the knucklehead intakes had. The exhaust ports are an unknown. It looks like they're set up as a single-bolt flange. That makes me nervous...not so sure how you'd get a good seal to the headers.

The rear brake master cylinder, pedal and bracketry at the bottom, back of the frame is a kludge. No clue what Lawwill intended that to look like but, it's not right. The wiring does not exist. Various parts are in a cardboard box (headlight, various brackets, voltage regulator, coil, etc).

All in all, a very restorable bike and would be stunning if it were rebuilt/restored correctly. The problem is: it needs the right owner with either deep pockets, fabrication and restoration skills, or (preferably) both.

Anybody going to step up? I'm not even sure I could kick start the thing. Gettin' old sucks and I don't have the money or space. :lol3