Indiana Ride Thread

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by tpar1220, Jan 2, 2009.

1. oPAULo

oPAULo jack of all terrain Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  2. johnson357

johnson357 Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer:

Oh sorry TJ I thought I was being nice by offering someone a ride should have talked about my cross country ride or how old my BMW was. But I'm now clear on the SOPs now won't happen again.
  3. nickgindy

nickgindy Lover of the KLR

Oddometer:
    Your not allowed to say BMW unless you own one.
  4. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:

Yup...no cops, 'specially when Frank is rolling a big fatty for his pals.
  5. dfye55

dfye55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Woodsrat, I still have route sheet holder on bike, so yea make a copy for me. Thx

Sent from mobile
  6. TooSlow4U

TooSlow4U 2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer:
    That's hilarious! Look how patient Anthony looks, just waiting for the big pass... :rofl

Paul definitely AIN'T right! :lol3 (but he is mighty handy with photoshop, I'll give him that...)
  7. johnson357

johnson357 Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer:
    Givin the present climate in here not a problem(and I'm not talking about the pot ref.), I'm out. In the words of Joe from Family Guy "Good call a fireman to put out the RAPE!"
  8. Kbowling

Kbowling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for invite I live in hamilton oh and the only dual sport bike I have is klr650. Where is this cafe and time?
  9. nickgindy

nickgindy Lover of the KLR

Oddometer:
    One of the best Family Guy Quotes ever

I'm right in Lawrence not to far from you.
  10. AC909

AC909 Great Job!

Oddometer:
    I wont be at lunch this Sunday but would definitely love a copy of that route sheet Tim. Did John lay it out alone or was it a Stoney group effort?
  11. Btown Jason

Btown Jason MotoChimp Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just popped onto craigslist and noticed a Honda NX250 for sale locally. Do any of you know anything about these bikes? I know nothing about them, but am interested in a smaller bike than my 650 for girlfriend or guests to use. And for my own enjoyment too...
  12. dav_dman

dav_dman old guy tryin' to stay young on a bike

Oddometer:
    our xt225 yami's are great bikes for girls, short guys, and tall guys who raise them up (me). They are just awesome little bikes period.
  13. godwinmt

godwinmt They call me Crash

Oddometer:
    Same with suzuki DR 200's...they're surprisingly capable and stupid durable...We picked up our '05 for $1400 back ~3-4 years ago and it's a trooper for what i've put it through. I rode it for about a year at school before I picked up the DR650, and after I got hit totalling it, I realized I had more fun on the little bike and picked up a WR to replace the DR.

One of these things is a lot smaller than the others...

[​IMG]

-M
  14. dav_dman

dav_dman old guy tryin' to stay young on a bike

Oddometer:
    yes agree the dr200 is a great bike and might sit a little lower than even the 225, not sure tho.
  15. godwinmt

Oddometer:
    Seat height is pretty much the same in stock form, but if you really need to drop the seat height for a super beginner, we were able to get more adjustment out of the DR than my professor's XT. The XT has a little more umph, and isn't as cold blooded as the DR, but both will fire up below 0...the DR just takes a few starts before it'll stay running that cold.

The DR has a 3.3ish gallon tank which is fantastic. I averaged ~70-75mpg with mine commuting, and the highest I got was on the first leg of the 2011 HNF ride and it squeaked out 89mpg. The tank on the XT is a gallon smaller if it matters to you at all.

The XT is a more refined bike, but the DR puts the emphasis on tractor :evil
  16. dfye55

dfye55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want this data for every vehical I own. From service manual at yahoo groups ct90. Too cool.:clap
    [​IMG]
  17. Davidc83

Davidc83 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :norton
    bmw, bmw, bmw :clap
  18. godwinmt

Oddometer:
    The plot on the right (thrust curves...and it lies...kg's are mass units not force units) are easy to make (done it for several vehicles so far) if you have a copy of the dyno :) You need the torque curve and your gear ratios/wheel size and you're golden.

The x axis is the speed which is done by multiplying engine speed by the gear ratios to find out how fast the wheel is spinning...then you multiply by the wheel circumference to get speed.

The y axis is pretty much done the same way, but you take the torque at whatever RPM and multiply it through the gear ratios, then divide by tire radius to get the thrust force.

If anyone wants i've got an excel sheet i whipped up for calculating these. You input the engine torque at various rpms, primary + secondary ratios, and tire size (metric like 90/90/21), and it spits out the thrust curves. Just shoot me a pm and i can get it emailed out to whoever wants it...although i mightaswel convert it to a googledoc tonight to make everything super easy.

I've got a matlab script too that calculates optimum shift points too from this...but not everyone has matlab.
  19. AC909

AC909 Great Job!

Oddometer:
    My head hurts. I failed this class multiple times. I just ride em'
  20. Bob in Indy

Bob in Indy Bob-O

Oddometer:
    Gotta love engineers... haven't used matlab in years, my work just doesn't let me do the fun stuff anymore.