F800GS Strange Vibrating / Buzzing

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by KLRscoob, Mar 27, 2009.

1. KLRscoob

KLRscoob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone experienced a strange buzz/fibrating sound at 1200-3100 RPM. It sounds like when my sportbikes cam chains start to loosen up and need adjusting, the bike has only 1K on it and I have done all the appropriate service. It is driving me crazy, the dealer says "everything sounds normal"??? The bike seems to run okay but it is worrying me. thanks
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Nope. But it could be there and I just haven't noticed. I spend much next to no time in that RPM range.

David
  3. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Mine has little rattle till she's warmed up a bit. Nothing that bothers me though.
  4. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    My F800 sounds a little noisy as well... the mechanic at the dealership, said that's way they are..... (but keep an eye out in case it gets louder) love that disclaimer mentality.
  5. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Remember that it's a motorcycle. It has an engine that is out in the open. You're going to hear the engine working in High Definition!:D
  6. KLRscoob

Oddometer:
    it keeps getting louder and more frequently heard at wider RPM range. I will be stopping by the dealer Monday, I guess this is why I got the 6yr Unlimited Warranty
  7. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Lets us know what the rattle turns out to be. And fill out yer profile so we know where you are. :ear
  8. Mista Toad

Mista Toad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if it's the same problem I've been having, but it's in the same rpm range.

It only happens when I accelerate sort of hard.

It falls off by about 4000rpm.

It's a rattle that sounds like an old fashioned small wimpy car horn. It drives me crazy. I thought it was maybe the brake cable or clutch cable rattling against something, but holding them tight against something isn't helping.

KRLscoob, is the sound like when a chain is starting to loosen, or is the sound coming from that location? For me, it's up front, but I can't tell if it's in front of the windshield (or from the windshield itself) or from something near the computer or speedo or tach. I always wear a helmet, and it's preventing me from isolating the sound---I need to experiment.

I'm pretty sure it's a small problem---all the screws are tightened...etc...

I'll duct tape the whole damned thing, if I need, or if it'll help. It's making me lose my mind---especially when I think it's an actual car horn.
  9. ornithoid

ornithoid Banned

Oddometer:
    LOL! Over in my thread about my Wee Strom, I mentioned having the same problem. A sound coming up through the fairing when I coast/decelerate... and it doesn't seem engine-rpm-related, in my case. Folks there told me "bikes make noise, and all the worse because you're right atop the engine".
    I won't belittle the OP because I know how maddening sounds can be when you think your vehicle shouldn't be making that particular sound. But don't freak out about it. Be methodical. Understand that chances are if it starts to cause a problem, you'll figure it out and it'll get fixed. And if it doesn't cause a problem--hey, no problem! :clap
  10. KLRscoob

Oddometer:
    Took it to the dealer and they said it is normal noise, I have the aftermarket skid plate and engine gaurds and they said this is most likely making the noise amplified. I still is getting more pronounced after every ride and I think that there is another problem. It sounds exactly like my gixxer race bikes when the cam chain needs to be adjusted. I know, it is a motorbike and they make noise, but I am meticulous about the care of my bikes and hate the little things. I am one of those guys that gets her dirty and as soon as I get home she gets her bath:D Time will tell and I will keep y'all posted.
  11. Mista Toad

Mista Toad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So it sounds like KLRscoob has a different problem. I know my problem isn't serious. It's just seriously annoying!

I'm used to all sorts of strange sounds b/c I have a TJ (Jeep Wrangler)...and it's funny b/c on the Jeep forums, everyone always says the same things, "It's a Jeep, they make noises!"

Not having doors makes it more like the bike in that respect as well...you hear things you'd never hear in a car.

...but being in tune with your vehicle, you know what noises are normal and which aren't---my issue is a vibe thing of some sort and I just need to figure out where so I can properly dampen it.
  12. Team Vegas

Team Vegas ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>---

Oddometer:
    You ever figure out what this was? My 2011 started doing it today.
    Thanks
  13. DonHo

DonHo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 2010 model does about the same thing. Noise off the bottom, then about 5000 under aggressive acceleration. Been doing it for several thousand miles, doesn't seem to be a serious problem, but it is annoying. If anyone knows exactly what it is, I would be very interested in what it is.