Google Maps to Garmin - It Shouldn't Be So Hard!

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by RZRob, May 25, 2012.

1. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I talked to Drytbk Dan and the map pic above is the Western Topo map with contour lines turned off.
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess I spoke a little too soon about CN. Actually in addition to CN I also use Topo 100k, Topo24k, and Benchmark, GTR, and BLM paper maps to plan serious off-pavement trips.

BaseCamp is much better than Mapsource in not having to zoom in and out so much.

The Benchmark maps are just about perfect for getting the big picture, seeing terrain, and still being able to see virtually every road no matter how small. And these maps show a bigger variety of road types than digital maps. It is pretty easy to look at a Benchmark map and then draw the route in BaseCamp or Mapsource especially in the winter time.

I use BLM maps to determine land ownership in questionable areas.
  3. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:

Thank you, this worked perfectly for me. Frustration level decreasing :1drink
  4. hobieorris

hobieorris Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I created a Firefox plugin called "Route Rat" that saves your Google Maps route to your Garmin in 1 click. Go to your Firefox Add-on Manager (Tools -> Add-ons) and search for it.

Home page is here: http://clients.teksavvy.com/~hobie/routerat
  5. Travman

Travman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been using Mapquest with a Garmin 765t for years. Just plot out the route as normal, connect your Garmin to the PC, and select send to GPS as a route. Yes a plug in is needed and you'll be prompted if its not installed. On the Garmin, go to you Data, and select the route and import it. The route you created will now be in you custom routes. If you use enough waypoints, it will be exactly what was created on Mapquest.

Now to be honest, Google maps is much more user friendly than Mapquest. So I normally quicly plot out the route on Google then duplicate on Mapquest for the import.

BTW - been using the Nuvi 765t for the last 4 years on 3 different bikes without issue. It even becomes fully waterproof by slipping a ziplock sandwitch bag over it. :D. However, it is having some Bluetooth issues lately so as good as it has been, looking for a replacement.
  6. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride 'The Cartographer'

Oddometer:
    I, too, used MapQuest for a long time. However, I got really ticked off with the 'new' Mapquest as they didn't port any of my maps over. I lost a crap load of routes from their site ( I have copies of the gpx files, though ). I've opened a couple of issues with them, but they have never gotten back to me ( months ). I gave up and I'm using BaseCamp now. I'm not completely happy with BC, but I have learned enough so far to get by.
  7. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Did you get it figured out? I can give you a step by step that WILL WORK perfect in 2 minutes if you still need it. Only took me about 3 years to figure it out....
  8. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
  9. DonVulpes

DonVulpes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to simply be able to add POIs to the Zumo 660 I'm going to be using, direct from Google Maps.

I have asked for suggestions of places to visit when I tour Europe in summer and it would be great if I could just add these points in Favourites, to recall as I'm getting near, then let the GPS nav to it.

Can't even suss out putting POIs on to the damned thing :( :huh
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

I don't understand why so many people think Garmin is doing something wrong with their business plan.

What I see wrong is that Google is not selling a GPS that is compatible with all they maping software which is the poor business plan.

The answer of course is that in America, you make orders of magnitude more profit selling advertising (GIANT Google) than you do selling hardware (Tiny Garmin).
  11. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Google can't sell/license their map's because all of their maps aren't theirs. They still license maps from several sources. I suppose if Google Map users continue to edit/update the Google Map data (for free:puke1), Google will certainly be in a position to SELL you their Maps at some point - soon. They could easily download their maps to a handheld devices (smartphones or a Google GPS) today if Licensing wasn't an issue.

EDIT: Should have added that I don't think Google wants to be in the hardware (handheld) business. They only bought Motorola's handset business for the Patents. If Motorola continues to do poorly don't be surprise to see them parish.

Personally, I prefer OSM maps where the data is created for free and is FREE to use by anyone.
  12. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    If I understand your question, then you can, albeit only one at a time.
    You have to have your GPS attached to your computer.
    Find some location however you want - search for it, click on the map, whatever. When you get what you want, right click and select What's Here? Under the resulting display you will see "more ..." Click on it and you will get the option to Send. Click it and you can email it or, voila!, send it to your GPS!
    I'll post some pix and update this later.
    -ceej

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing to do with what I said?

If Google has such great mapping software, why can't it talk to Garmin et al or sell their own GPS. As I said advertising profit on Google makes more money that hardware ever could. They don't care about your little GPS problem, just keep using their web site and they make money.

Garmin sells a complete package that works very well, if owners want to try to use half the package it is their problem to work it out.
  14. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    Jerry, I think we're in agreement re: Garmin AND Google.

Along with agreeing to your statement, my only point was that even IF Google wanted to be of more value to "down-stream" use of their data they can't 'cause they don't own all of the data. Which by the way is why you can't download more than one waypoint at a time directly to a GPS or Phone - licensing!
  15. DonVulpes

DonVulpes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's brilliant, thanks :clap:clap

I was following Garmin's instructions, which weren't helping.

16. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually

Oddometer:
    I did Troy, thank you for the offer though. Following the steps I originally quoted worked easy enough.

I've been at it for two years off and on, with very little ground gained :lol3
  17. 1worshipguy

1worshipguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just successfully went straight from Google maps (much easier to use) into Basecamp (necessary evil for the Garmin).

1. Create your route in Google Maps.
    2. Save your route (means having a Google account)
    3. Once saved, it should present you an option on the left...a link to download the KML. If not, go to your saved places and find what you saved the route as. After clicking on it, it should open the route and give you the option to click on KML. Clicking on it downloads it (on my Mac, I had to drag it from Downloads to my desktop to find it).
    4. Open Basecamp.
    5. Click on File>Import and there it is!
    6. I changed the name immediately by right clicking so I wouldn't get confused about it later.

Seems to work fine for me. I did it twice to make sure since the first one was a gravel road track someone else made. Both worked fine.

I can attach some screen shots if necessary. But this process takes out all the middle men, all the browser add-ons, all the shareware, and most of the guessing!
  18. Bleemus

Bleemus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. This is what I have been doing. Works fine now that Basecamp can import KML without conversion.

More and more I have been just using Basecamp as I become more proficient with it.
  19. 1worshipguy

1worshipguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha...I was so proud to have gotten my Google Maps route into Basecamp without any issue. But now I can't seem to get Basecamp to export my selected route to my Garmin device.

I'll admit, this is my first time doing it, so I'm sure I'm missing something. But, man, how frustrating. I can get the address into my device, but its not importing the exact route like I designed. Oh well...any thoughts?
  20. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    What GPS are you using?