BMW Cactory Center Stand

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by east high, Feb 17, 2010.

1. east high

east high Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to ditch the Reynolds center stand that came with my /5. Is the factory center stand the same for all /5 /6 /7 and r65s?

Are there replacement bushings or some kind of rebuild kit for the hinges on these?

Thanks-
  2. Renner

Renner combustophile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As I understand it those c'stands went through various variations over the years, and the R65 stuff has virtually no cross-over parts to the rest of the airhead fleet.

Speaking of Airheads... are you a member?
    I hear they have great and regular Barley Therapy sessions in your area, probably plenty of savvy local dudes to be found, willing and happy to impart expertise.

You can also go to www.realoem.com, enter your bike's serial number in the space provided, find the part number for the appropriate center stand... then enter that p/n in the part number search field to reveal applicability to other models.
  3. east high

Oddometer:
    A member of what? Some kind of local Airhead group?

Thanks for that link. Bookmarked :evil
  4. Renner

Oddometer:
    www.airheads.org
    a good resource, particularly for meeting folks local to you that have bikes with the type 247 engine you have in your /5

there is also the unaffiliated Airheads mailing list which is sometimes a good read, particularly in digest mode... maybe averages 30 entries daily.

http://micapeak.com/mailman/listinfo/airheads

R75/5 c'stand part number 46 52 1 234 757
    appears to also be used on these bikes:
    R60/6
    R75/6
    R90/6
    R90S
    R60/7
    R75/7
    R80
    R80RT
    R100/7T
    R100/T
    R100CS
    R100RS
    R100RT
    R100S<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

5. east high

Oddometer:
    Thanks, man. That list is the money.
  6. dotdash

dotdash scarecrow n hometown

Oddometer:
  7. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    The Airheads Beemer Club is a national club devoted exclusivly to the type 247 bikes. The members bullitin is published monthly, the club has a pretty large presence it the major rallys and local chapters have Barley Therapy sessions monthly along with Tech Days on an irregular basis.

Its a great club and a huge source of Airhead info!
  8. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    Uhm....

The /5 center stands may (Or may not.) fit a /6 but they sure wont fit the later models of the RS, RT, and CS bikes. OTOH, the bushings are available as replacement parts, as are springs, etc.

When looking for a replacement stand it's important to check the year of manufacture :deal and this is especially true if you're buying on Ebay. Just remember that the bottoms of the stands wear out and a used item may need a some welding before it's usable.
  9. kixtand

kixtand Long timer

Oddometer:
    My experience has been that the /5 centerstand is longer than the later models, including the /6. My advice would be to buy a new one from Hucky or the like, but you can also find decent used ones that might need a bit of repair, if you are so inclined.

kix
  10. east high

Oddometer:
    That's interesting. I've contemplated one from Hucky in the past. He's been a great asset so far. Perhaps selling my Reynolds would offset the cost of a new one. Old stuff, man..
  11. Renner

Oddometer:
    I wondered about that.
    I pulled the centerstand part number from realoem and reapplied that to a p/n search and it gave me the list, but I thought the /5 stand was more limited in its application.
  12. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    Renner:

Can you expound on that? Are you saying you have a way to input a part # and have something tell you all the places it is used? I'd like to hear more about that.

Tom
  13. Renner

Oddometer:
    certainly Tom,
    once you get past the front page of realoem.com there are to windows for entering numbers for quick searches. The first is the VIN# or seven digit serial number for individual vehicles, the second is Part NR Application Search.

I'm not sure why the centerstand p/n search brought up so many other models, could be the p/n superceded the original p/n and now one part is offered as a "fits all".
    Something somewhat similar happened with oil pans, /5 and R100GS shallow pans now having the same p/n IIRC.

Scott
  14. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    Scott:

Insert sound of hand hitting my head. I just tried this on MaxBMW for a common part. Comes up with a list of the fiches for all the bikes that have it. Jeesh, I just learned something cool.

Mucho Thanks,

Tom
  15. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:

I know the c-stands for the 70-80 airheads are identical. The 81-84 stands are different and won't mount properly to a pre-81 frame.

The clue is yours uses the stand with the 2 horizontal bars. The later stands only have 1 bar.
  16. east high

Oddometer:
    So there's no height difference between the /5 and /6 center stands then? :huh Who'da thought a BMW center stand could get so confusing :lol3
  17. kixtand

kixtand Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think this is the case, at least not in my experience. I was of the same opinion as the junkie, until I put a /6 c-stand on my /5, and it is too short. I then compared a /5 and /6 stand off the bike and there is indeed a difference.

YMMV--

kix