05 DL650 Vstrom - blowing smoke/oil !!!!!

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by freeflow, Aug 21, 2006.

1. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    well...my wife's 05 Weestrom with about 8500 miles must have blown or cracked a ring:cry ...we were cruising along at freeway speeds for a few hours...came to a pee stop and it was blowing blue/white smoke out the tailpipe:huh

shut it off and looked around...and in the middle of nowhere...well gotta keep rolling...checked the oil and stopped to get some oil and kept it topped off to center of sight glass...10-20 miles later the smoking stopped after slowly decreasing...there was obvious blow by causing the smoke...oil consumption was up...it burned about 1/2 qt in 500 miles...it only smoked for a little while...

This wee is in warranty and extended warranty, so the dealer is gonna work on this one...(dude on the phone was whining about proper break in:lol3 :lol3 ...I will properly break him in when I dop off the bike tomorrow)...this outta be fun:cry ....oh well, this is why we keep a few spare bikes around folks:clap

anyway, this is a FYI...the Weestrom is NOT infallible .no matter what El Pelon sez:lol3 :lol3 ...they are a great bike...

we will see how Suzuki handles this
  2. mp183

mp183 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I overfilled my slightly and the stupid thing just will not use
    any oil. Should I be worried?
    Went to James Bay. Four days 2,667 miles.
    Speeds on route 117 from Montreal to Val-D'Or were an indicated
    85-95 for two hours going. On the way back we did indicated 95-105 for about 140 miles before we hit rain. On the James Bay road we did indicated
    85-90 for about 1/3 of the trip.
    My GS 500 would have gone through at least a quart if not more at those speeds.
  3. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    I agree...My GS burns oil too...I did not overfill the Vstrom, and really loving it...but to all of the sudden start smoking and billowing a smoke cloud when at idle is not good no matter who you are:lol3

but dayum the thick smoke was amazing....rings issue I am guessing..I hope cylinder wall is ok
  4. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    My strom did not smoke and I just came from Florida almost no stop going 80 90 and over all the way

Took way less than a quart though
  5. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doh, that's the first I've heard of a wee with a mechanical issue. I gues some percentage of all mechanical devices manufactured are not quite right. Lets hope suzuki fixes it up nicely:thumb
  6. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe you should clean the air filter...

:hide
  7. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    get back to Jomomma dipshit....:lol3

besides it never was the air filter....

BTW....better than running hotdogging all nilly willy with a broken doohickey:lol3

Shelly is hard on bikes.....:lol3
  8. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    me too first I've heard of it.....thus I posted....

the mechanic tried to paly the "proper break in" with me....frosted me a bit :huh then I told him about all the aircraft engines I go thru proepr break in too...and he chilled:lol3

BTW it was smoking so bad, some folsk nearby were unloading a big draft horse and came over to us and asked us to turn it off so it wouldn;t spook the horse:lol3
  9. KTMRyder

KTMRyder throttle jockey

Oddometer:
    Your bike must have been assembled on a Friday afternoon or maybe a Monday after a hard weekend.:D

My buddy is the only one I know of who has had any issue with the 650 motor and it was self induced.
    he was changing the oil on his SV and the phone rang.
    he answered it and conviently forgot his bike as only half full of fresh oil.

He got about a mile down the street before the oil light came on and he shut it off.
    he filled it up and it seemed fine, but it started knocking about 8K later.:cry

he put a new crank and lower end bearings in it and it was fine for the next 40K when he sold it.
  10. mp183

mp183 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are kidding?
    Or you have the 1000.
    My riding buddy has the 650 also. He has over 40,000 miles on his and
    I have a little under 30,000.
    We did a trip to Florida in the winter and both bikes did not use any oil
    in the 3,200+miles we did in 6 days.
  11. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:

agreed...these are NOT oil burners.....at friggin all...the last weekend 1500 mile run with a new 650 didn;t burn a dropa dn the oil looks very clean yet

this 650 had a problem...and I am one....I don;t know of many of these...strange.....
  12. Stromdog

Stromdog Howl at the Moon

Oddometer:
    You must be hallucinating. Double check the badge on the tank.
  13. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:

My mistake ... 1/2 quart ... but I flogged the bejeezuuus outta the damn thing

Again ... I was averaging 85 mph between fueling stops
  14. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    All engines consume oil, some more than others. It's really the luck of the draw, although the orignal poster appears to have had a failure of some sort.

Which leads me to ask that we avoid the "My bike doesn't have the problem, so the problem must be you, not the bike," syndrome or even worse the "Mine has a problem so they must all have the same problem". All bikes have problems, some just less frequently.

- Mark
  15. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey in me defence I had a broken one and a new one in there...and yah, She is hard on bikes...hate to she would she would do with a bike that isn't known for reliability...sheesh...
  16. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    I think you are a Seminar-poster!!! you're a plant from that evil Gspot group just trying to cause disinformation and dissension among PODlings!!! we will not stand for this sort of unfounded Lie!

PODLings unite... its a global conspiracy against us..:freaky
    [somebody refill my Kool-Aid cup!]

17. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't you be out in the woods somewhere waiting for the Mother Strom to beam you up?:lol3
  18. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    why are there sooooo many dick wads on 650's ?????
  19. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Seeing the kind of stuff your lady likes doing (like jumping off a cliff), my money is on her thrashing it so bad it cried uncle. :D
  20. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    agreed...I was pondering selling the GS and getting another Vstrom...but not anymore:lol3 :lol3

assimilation sequence terminated:lol3

at least I still have the KLRs to rely on:ear

yeah Drif, I hear ya....:lol3 ...she is hard on stuff:lol3 :lol3 :lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]