F800GS with 30" inseam?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by maximuski, Nov 28, 2009.

1. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    the 30th anniversary bike is just "bold new graphics" and is exactly the same as the other F800's (and yes I own one).
    So far I have had the stock seat, the BMW comfort seat and now the Sargent world seat and an air hawk.
  2. EPMD

EPMD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know about being 5'6" but my inseam is about 30". Touching down with both feet involves being on my toes but riding dirtbikes and such gets you used to that.

Once youre moving youre good. I tripod it most of the time anyway at stops...

I did put a TT low seat on there. Works nice.
  3. Teli Rides

Teli Rides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, I'm considering upgrading my 650 twin with a 2013 800 GS, I know I can manage with only the low seat, but I'd be nice for comforts sake to have a additional inch lowering while still retaining the ESA functionality.

I won't do any hard off roading anyway so ground clearance is not an issue. I know I can order a 820 mm lowered one but I'd really like to have the ESA Gadget.
  4. wipe-out

wipe-out Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2
  5. Teli Rides

Teli Rides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Fred, I already have a 650 twin stock height... the thing with that are the alloy wheels, are a pain in the a** to repair (ask me how I know), besides they are ugly as sin.

I'm debating between ordering spoked Wood'ys or a Brand New 800 with 3 yrs more warranty, the difference in Cost is not that much.
  6. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    How do you know (with pics :eek:).?
  7. Teli Rides

Teli Rides Adventurer

Oddometer:

Hi Loutre,

haha, no big deal just a series of hassles..... not even worth the pics, but long story short. Either I'm becoming a more "aggressive" rider or the Alloys on the F650 got worse, but on the last 4 months, I got some dents on the alloys which until then I regarded as fairly strong.

The last and bigger dent caused vibration at speed (80-100 mph). When the bike was due for service like a month ago, told the dealer to repair the rim, was told to come back a week later, which turned into two weeks because the rim was not "right" when they got it form their supplier. When finally received the bike, it sat on my garage for two or three days no problemo, then took it for a ride apparently all cool so far, later in the week I notice the flat tire, mmm.. must be a nail, nope, its from the rim which now has a small crack (I don`t know if the heat form the rapair caused the metal to weaken or it was just a crappy job) I took the wheel back to the dealer (for warranty), another week goes by, I got it back, hopefully this time the repair will take, I rode the bike for 300 mi on a diversity for surfaces so far so good, the vibration barely noticeable but still not perfect, the color isn't quite the same either, It's barely noticeable,for everyone else, but I notice.

Needless to say I have 0 confidence that the repaired thing will withstand anything more than smooth tarmac or really low speed dirt, which does not cut it for ME. Therefore that's why I want spoke wheels, if I mess anything I can either repair it easier or, change just a part without having to replace the entire wheel, hubs and all.

Which returns me to the topic of this thread, which is the F800 GS with its longer travel suspension and spoke wheels. I know I would manage with the standard suspension and low seat with my 30" inseam, doing the captain morgan and tiptoeing, I could after all ride, a 12 GS with the wider seat I think 84cm seat height, not the greatest experience to handle the thing when stopped, but anyway I could get used to. It's a shame that for Me and what I like to do the 1200 feels too big to have as an ONLY bike, maybe as a second one but I can't own two.... sniff sniff :rofl back to topic..

The question, for the sake of technical knowledge (geek) is. Would it be advisable/safe or if it even exists an aftermarket spring for the rear shock, lets say Hyperpro on a bike Equiped with ESA Suspension? I know that on bikes without the ESA is a non issue, on hyper pro site they say something about them having the kit for the '13 F800 GS but don't mention anything about the ESA Gadget.

Thanks for the advise

Cheers...
  8. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Well... seeing your rim history I'd say that you wouldn't be happy with the 800GS's rims either. A lot of threads out there will tell you that they are junk and too soft (take a look around it's very popular) so that a lot of people get the woody's anyway.

If you have a good 658 I wouldn't throw it away and just add the wheels except if you are looking for a reason to get a new toy :lol3. Oh and if you are interested in an aftermarket option for ESA, Touratech has got his own system now for 1200€.

Cheers,

Tom
  9. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled on this thread in the Boxer section: Same question as you have about the Hyperpro and the ESA thingy.

The interesting phrase was "My understanding is you can have them fit ESA to Hyperpro shocks, however you need to send them your shocks and have them transfer the ESA unit to the new ones".

Good luck with that!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852631
  10. OmenF1

OmenF1 wannabe explorer

Oddometer:
    I am 1m 77cm ( 5' 9"?) and have problems beeing confident on the F800gs ( which I would really really like to swap for my current Triumph Tiger 800 roadie)

I have tried the low seat by BMW, no good enough yet.
    I am wondering, would the Touratech low seat for the F800gs be lower than the BMW low seat ?
    Can 't tell from the specs, as they indicate the distances from saddle to pegs at TT, and I need to know from saddle to ground....

Tiger is 810mm in lowest std seat position, and with the LOW seat it goes down to 790mm. Which is perfect for me :shog
    800gs is 850mm with the LOW seat installed..

What would it be with the TT low seat installed, anybody compared the BMW low seat already with the TT low seat on a F800 GS ..?

BR

Omen
  11. FNMAN

FNMAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Touratech low seat is lower than the BMW low seat in my opinion. I love the TT low seat and can ride all day without a sore butt.

Be aware that your knees will be cramped. I had to purchase lowered pegs but now I can ride standing up indefinitely.

BTW, I have the HyperPro 25mm springs and I have to put almost all the preload in to get the bike to handle well when loaded for a trip which eliminates the 25mm drop and puts the bike back at an almost stock height.

Short legs suck!
  12. maximuski

maximuski Don't Follow Me I'm Lost2

Oddometer:
    I don't know the answer to your specific question but I can tell you that the hyper pro lower suspension is the solution. It makes the bike 5cms (2in) lower. After putting this new suspension initially I was using the low seat as well but now I'm using the standard seat because the profile (edges) of the low one is just too uncomfortable.

Now my f8 is the perfect bike for me. If it works for me (168 cms/5'6") it would work for you

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
  13. Teli Rides

Teli Rides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posted several months ago about my worries (outright terror) with the seat height... at the end I trusted an inmate's phrase (thank you Soph9) "seat height is a state of mind" I learned to be confident with one foot down, the other on the peg.

I test rode the 800 and its a great bike, but too similar to my 650 Twin..

For the rough stuff I got a 690 Enduro which is taller than the 800 GS even with the lowering link I can't reach the ground with both toes. but I feel confident with one ball of my foot down on either side...

[​IMG][/url]
    Windows Phone_20130328_020 by oMunch, on Flickr

Talking about a short guy on a tall bike! this was taken with the stock height, even with the lowering link it doesn't get much better... :eek1

Now days even on the 650 Twin that I kept for the pavement mostly rides with my street bike buddies, and because I love the feel of the BMW, I use the one boot firmly and flat on the ground an the other in the peg approach. I learned in this bike before plunging the $$ for a new one!

I tried the 800 with the low seat and I can touch both toes so, NOW I would not be afraid to ride it... maybe I'll upgrade to a 800 ADV over the next couple of years..

So, listen to the other inmates wisdom :gerg and go for the bike you like, start practicing touching with one foot on your current bike and then go for it! BMW's are such nice bikes! and the new 800 ADV is sweet!

Cheers!
  14. scatto1

scatto1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I happend to be 5'6" with a 30" inseam. The one foot method works great for me. I can get both toes down but prefer the single foot (as recommended by the MSF course). I do have a Seargent seat but it's standard height.
  15. OmenF1

OmenF1 wannabe explorer

Oddometer:
    Thanks you guys and gals, that's solid aDvice , I am inspired again:evil

Will start practising today.

Then I start to search activly again for a good F800GS with some nice farkles on:deal

Thanks again, will report on progress:wink:

Omen
  16. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    ........... I wish to offer a counter point:
    FEET belong on the FOOT-PEGS.
    A 30 inch inseam will easily allow both feet to reach the footpegs, and a slight shift to the LEFT will allow a left foot dab, easily enough, while the RIGHT foot retains easy access to the rear brake lever.
    EXACTLY NEVER does one need two feet caressing the Earth's surface from the seat of a motorcycle.
    NEVER.
    To believe otherwise is unnecessarily hazardous.
  17. 73datsun

73datsun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I agree with no need to have both feet planted at a stop. Consider other scenarios. You're on a slight off camber. On the side stand (say at a gas station), the bike is fully loaded. Panniers. Full fuel. Top box/bag.

There were sometimes where I literally didn't have the leg length to "right" the bike.

How would you advise going around that? Not being a smart ass. Just genuinely curious.

I'm 6' but have a 30" inseam. So bike shopping and riding is a curious endeavor.
  18. Teli Rides

Teli Rides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I also have 30" inseam

Option 1: Mount/dismount without the side stand down. I reckon this is easier with a 150 Kg Bike. Would I do it with a fully loaded 300 Kg GSA? maybe I'd give it a 2nd thought at my current skill and strenght level but I guess practise is the key to build confidence.

Option2: Push the bike to a place with level ground, I don't expect to look cool while parking in reverse, or go though a place where other riders can put both feet down to push the bike... I either dismount and push or gas it and try to make it though....

Option3: If the weight is gaining on, stick your leg out of the way and let the bike go.

Neither of these options are cool or good looking but its a little price to pay in order to have the bike you like... I'm a wuss and was terrified of this seat heigh issue for years, but at the end I had two choices either could be riding low bikes that I don`t really ring my bell forever, or suck it up and learn how to adapt. There is a really interesting video out there of an average height girl getting on a Rally Bike, and boy those things are tall...

I still don't feel that comfortable with the towering seat heights in many situations, but I'll improve with the miles...

This issue has been talked about a lot on this and other forums, but I wanted to share my recent experience of going from one mindset to another...

Cheers
  19. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about some of those shoes that strippers wear? They should be good for 7 to 8 inches of extra inseam.
  20. OmenF1

OmenF1 wannabe explorer

Oddometer:

again very helpfull, thx a lot ! I also think about "blind crossroads, in between houses, going uphill, you need to put the bike to a standstill to check traffic.
    That's how the 1150gs got layed down a few times:rofl