My Insurance company can't locate the VIN

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by jecklc80, Jun 18, 2013.

1. jecklc80

jecklc80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at purchasing a 2005 KTM 950 ADV but my insurance company can't find the VIN in their database. Any idea what that means or what I should do? I have American Family but Progressive couldn't find it either, Geico did find it though. Why would this be? It was a US bike originally and has been in the states since 2004. Continue with sale or no?
  2. jecklc80

jecklc80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My insurance company called me back and said there is something wrong with the vin. They are going to call the dealership and try to get more info. Has anyone ever ran into this? Should I proceed with the purchase or is this cause for concern?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
  3. Mr_Snips

Mr_Snips Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer:
    Usaa had issues with my 2011 adv r but found it after talking to ktm. Not entirely sure but make sure it's not a salvage or something like that.
  4. ToddLite

ToddLite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you but my insurance company (State Farm) had issues with the VIN on my '07 SE as well. When they plug it into their "system" it shows up as a 990 Adventure. I figure later model KTM dual sports are obscure enough that the VIN db's the insurance companies use are probably wonky...
  5. jecklc80

jecklc80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I asked if it was a salvage title and they said it wasn't. It only has 2400 miles on it so I though it would be a good one. Hopefully they are able to find it and everything turns out ok, but I don't want to make a several thousand dollar mistake either.
  6. jecklc80

jecklc80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I called my local KTM dealer to see if they could find anything on it. So then I called the Texas DMV. They verified that it was registered with them since it was new and is a one owner, no salvage, no theft, clean title. They also looked the Carfax up on it and it didn't show anything either so it should be good to go. Maybe it is just wonky insurance databases.
  7. B_palmer22

B_palmer22 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happens quite often with KTM's. They can still write you a policy even if they cant locate the vin in their computer. Allstate just had to do that for me on my 690.
  8. jecklc80

jecklc80 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok cool thanks for the info.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
  9. mdfehrmann

mdfehrmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My insurance company lists mine as a LC8, I have AllState if that helps.
    I remember them trying back in 2008 to find it in their system and it took them a few tries but they finally got it.
    I hope that helps.
    Matthew