Fly Trekker Dual Sport Helmet?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by underkill, Mar 12, 2011.

1. DigDig

DigDig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes , i drilled an extra hole in the mechanism in between the highest two hole so that it would hold open just a crack without blowing shut. Works great now.
  2. Guyonabike

Guyonabike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have this helmet as well. It is sitting on the shelf. The adj vents rattle like crazy. Anyone else getting this?
  3. Byway Writer

Byway Writer Backroads Explorer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear that worked. That's what I plan to do, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for the reply.
  4. jjstunts

jjstunts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have one and love it. At speed on my HP2 Enduro w/ no windshield, it has the least amount of "lift" from the visor catching the wind of all of my dual sport helmets which are the Arai XD, Shoei DS, & the Icon Variant. I was a bit nervous about the quality because of the price after having to send back the Bell Revolver because it was absolute crap, but the Fly Trekker fits great and the fit and finish is top-notch. I have not been able to find anywhere any tinted shields for it but that's fine because you can actually wear goggles and still operate the flip down shield! I can't do that with any of my other helmets. Below is a photo with goggles. In my opinion, it is the best helmet, cost wise, out there.
  5. livetofly

livetofly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On my AFX version there is just enough resistance or friction to the face shield that it will stay cracked if I lift it up a little bit from the fully closed position. Also, I haven't noticed any rattling of the vents on my helmet either. Though I will say they don't seem particularly robust or heavy duty.

I still haven't figured out how to solve my problem of my head turning into an ice cube during winter rides. I think a helmet skirt is what I need, but not sure if any of those fit on the shape of these helmets. If I don't figure out something soon I may just quit riding in the cold until I get another helmet.
  6. montibank

montibank Happy

Oddometer:
    Bought mine about 4 weeks ago so far so good. A little windy inside on the freeway but I love it otherwise.

An oddity about it that really isnt that much of a big deal when completely down on the freeway look down and to your right or left, like you are looking for traffic in your blind spot my visor falls open a little but shuts again when you look forward. Not a deal breaker - just oddness.
  7. Keithy

Keithy Chaotically Keith

Oddometer:
    I had a Caberg Konda Flippylid prior to this......Caberg was way noisier .......I'm surprised at how little the wind tugs at the visor even at 3 digit speeds!

Attached Files:

8. the venturer

the venturer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi y'all. I am into replacing my helmet. Cant decide on whether AFX or FLY? Same factory, same molding but different sizing and side pads. Any other differences? Have just read the precious comments on here as I am too far away to try them on, my head circumference sizing 57cm and that's S for AFX and is that the same sizing for FLY? And what if I bought M, would that be too big for me? I have an M-Airoh.
    Comments from same sizings as mine would be appreciated. Thanks for all already.
  9. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do any of you guys have bad fogging problems with this helmet? I just got one last month, and it fogs up right away. The face shield is pretty much useless for me off-road, because it stays fogged up unless I'm doing more than 35mph or so. Seems like the air flow in this helmet makes my breath go straight up to the face shield, instead of out the bottom.

Mine is stiff enough to crack the shield open about 1/4" at the bottom and stay there, but it still fogs up.

Any tips?
  10. Byway Writer

Byway Writer Backroads Explorer

Oddometer:
    I drilled a new slot to allow it to better stay open. This has reduced fogging, but I haven't taken it on the trails since the surgery. I did just run a full review of the helmet on my site (see signature). Hope that helps a few people.
  11. Slideways#96

Slideways#96 Guest

I tried both the fly and afx versions. I bought the afx due to cheeks pads will allow the use of glasses more easily. The cheek pads in the fly version seem to be thicker and come up higher on the inside of the helmet. Yes it's cold due to about a 3 mm space between top of shield and helmet. Thinking of a fix for that. Have had no problems with lift at highway speed but I'd be comparing to a standard Mx helmet which can have substantial lift or turbulence at highway speeds.

Overall I'm pleased with my afx purchase. Pretty good quality at a good price.
  12. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I saw your review. Mine is stiff enough to stay open a little without any mods, but it still fogs up badly offroad, to the point where I just leave the face shield open so I can see. I'm pretty close to sending it back.
  13. bigredcherokee

bigredcherokee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I originally bought the AFX but after sending it back twice for two diff sizes abandoned it and went with the Fly Trekker. The fit was much better than the AFX and it was in line with my size

I don't have any rattle with the vents and its easy to get glasses on with the Trekker. There is an anti fog spray that you can wipe down on the shield to keep it from fogging up. The only time this happens to me is if its really humid out after a rain or if its raining.

The statements is true the outer shell is just about the same for the AFX but their is a diff on the padding inside.
  14. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    I've got the fly trekker and now have about 3,000 or so miles on it. I can not get the shield to stay shut at highway speed. It will open just barely. It's really pissing me off and at night when I don't have goggles on it lets a little more wind in. I tried tightening the side screws already and it didnt help. Any suggestions?
  15. Brtp4

Brtp4 Powdercoat it. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure the fiober washers are in between the helmet and the shield.

If not you can get some rubber ones at Ace and it will cure it.

BP
  16. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    Cool. I'll take a look. Thanks!
  17. Mikey Boy

Mikey Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Trekker and I've been trying to get a mirrored or smoked shield for it for the sun. Everyone online is out of them. Apparently Fly needs to produce more. Chaparral MS has one on order for me but I'm curious if anyone has heard an update on replacement shields?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
  18. Mikey Boy

Oddometer:
    I emailed Fly but no response yet.

19. Mikey Boy

Oddometer:
    Ok. This is the info I got. No tinted shields till June it looks like.

Hello Michael,

Thank you for contacting FLY Racing. Unfortunately we sold thru all of the tinted shields that we had in stock. Yes we do have more on order the ETA Date that we have from the manufacture is 06-20-12 mid June.

The only replacement shields that we currently have available is the Clear Shield.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards, Doug Downing Motorcycle / ATV Tech Support

20. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    Guess I got lucky with Motorcycle Superstore, I just got a replacement clear and a dark smoke for mine about two weeks ago...

Just double checked their website and sure enough...not available