So Who's Actually Been To Watch The Dakar?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by DeeGee, Mar 31, 2012.

1. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had pretty good seats to watch it this year, and here are my thoughts:

1) Deadly99 and Trailtrick speak the truth re: hopscotching. I'd love to go with Javier, he knows the terrain like very few and will definitely get you to the good spots.

2) There's a lot of pavement riding in the race... which means that you have a lot of riding to do at the same speed as the racers, just to handle liasion. However, there were several stages last year where the racers made a loop or backtracked, making it easier to keep up. I'd pick the stages I wanted to follow carefully, and base the decision somewhat on terrain but more on the strategy of keeping up.

3) The best places to view were not near paved roads. You need to go on something that is off-road capable to see more than gas stops/ lame dirt sections. Would be well worth the hassle to get to some of the good spots where Locals were (and Javier could help with this)- big sand hillclimbs, etc that would be a thrill all day.

4) Don't forget to enjoy where you are... SA is awesome, Dakar is like a bubble passing through, a little time in the bubble is cool but time outside of it is maybe cooler.
  2. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    trailtricks and ned, thanks much for your valuable inputs.......
  3. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Wow!! Cheers for the input Ned :thumb I've only got as far as checking flight prices from the UK for the missus and I, but they only go up as far as December. I also need to check some freight companies for shipping the bike too.

I like the idea of chasing for a week or so, maybe to see the end stages and the final day, then go and check out a bit of SA outside the Dakar "bubble" it's a he'll of a long way for us to go for 2 weeks so I also will have to check with my gaffer to see if I can get the time off.

Food for thought though guys and as always I appreciate the input.

Thank you.
  4. joneswgareth

joneswgareth Welsh Rarebit

Oddometer:
    Still keeping an eye on this one Gav! Really interesting input from Deadly and Ned amongst others. Trailtrick - could well be an option so please keep posted on further updates please! If you've room for another that is

This is getting interesting.... :ricky
  5. trailtrick

trailtrick goat trail rider

Oddometer:
    Is room for more , iff i get a lot more guys I can split in 2 groups and My brother can lead the second group ,he nows the area also but his english is limited .
    I be in north argentina ands south peru the end o the month getting the details ready and talking to the locals the i no to see how many we can cater in local family's home ,that way you also get to leave and share some time with the locals and their culture + help their economy in place the go to expensive hotels the are own by rich corporations .
    Most tours are geared to ride from big town to big town and staing in hotels and that take you away from the real south america and the locals that for the most part ara awesone
  6. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I retire in November and to kick off my retirement, I am looking into shipping the 950SE down, watching some of the Dakar, riding down to Ushuaia, and then riding north to home. Sounds like my plans may mesh well with Javier's. I'm all ears :ear. er, ah, eyes anyway until I talk with Javier. Please keep me in the loop.
  7. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    I think there is a good plan in the making with Javier's proposal.

Anybody else planning to do this ?

DeeGee, i got a quote for shipping the bike by Air and its too expensive so i'm looking at sea freight options now. PM's ya.
  8. EKIN

EKIN Just Do It

Oddometer:
    In 2013 I would not be able to get enough time off work to make this trip. All I ask, when the 2013 spectator ride takes shape you guys better do as good of a job as Neduro did in 2012 of keeping us posted on your progress.:D

It never dawned on me to attend Dakar as a spectator. BUCKET LIST MATERIAL:clap
  9. jonz

Oddometer:
    I'm seriously considering going with Javier. Just out of curiosity, what was the quote for shipping by air?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    I recently was reminded by Google to migrate some old google videos to Youtube, and co-incidentally they were from the '06 Dakar, Stage 4, Erg Chebbi.
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1_aV58vgREY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xfm74yzG__w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S-S8zLGielU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wV-MCvM8GXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/udJvNk-qqDQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    i was quoted 4+ kUSD for air shipment from AbuDhabi to BA. I'mm now considering sea freight and asking around for possible deals.

PM / talk to DeeGee to see if he can give you inputs on his communication with jamescargo.
  12. trailtrick

Oddometer:
    buenos aires is a long way from lima .
    I will have few honda nx400 falcons for rent too.
    I will have most o the details done by mid june ,cost and everything
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    I just got an indicative price of 600$+ to ship from Dubai-UAE to Lima-Peru by sea. Transit time is 50days which i can live with if the cost is gonna be this low :clap
  14. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    Although this link is about shipping/clearing your vehicle from Buenos Aires, it gives a pretty good idea about what to do and also alternative ports to ship to.

cheers
    Vicks
  15. This Weekend

This Weekend n00b

Oddometer:
    :evil:evil:evil Hi Guys, I qm going to to SA in 2014, great to hear all the Ideas riding one day and camping and watchibg the next sounds the way to do it. Will trailtricks be doing in 2014, ifso you will have me onboard.
  16. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    anybody got any updates on planning/getting approvals for the month long vacation you need etc ?

DeeGee ? jones ? barrie ?
  17. jonz

Oddometer:
    Vacation! !!??? Hah!!!! I'm gonna be retired. Of course, I am working on approval from SWMBO. I already have the 1+ month approval. However, my trip will be closer to 3 months and that's a work in progress.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  18. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    not as lucky as u are mate :cry
  19. DeeGee

DeeGee I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer:
    Looking doubtful for me now :cry managed to get some prices from James Cargo and Dakar Motos, including the flights for the missus and I I'm looking at around £3500. That's before I would actually turn a wheel, buy food, beer and accommodation etc.

I may win the Lotto in the meantime though :thumb
  20. trailtrick

Oddometer:
    just got back last night from argentina/bolivia/peru scout ride ,sort acomodations and things looking pretty good for do a tour around the Dakar Rally.
    I will finish the plan for the ride and the cost details and post it here ,probably see 7 days o rally +start and finish days ,the goal will be stay in the high country us much posible to see the best argentina,chile,peru and bolivia have to offert for adv riders, the limit o riders be 10 .