The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A local dealer has a 12 demo for 13k... and a 13 for 14.5k.i think he is nutz.
  2. okiegtrider

okiegtrider Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks! I'll give them a look. Not far from my part of the world.
  3. Vbird

Vbird In Room 237

Oddometer:
    Since the subject of price & availability have come up again. What is a "good deal" on these now. The decision has been made that this is my next bike. Dealer over an hour away said they had had no one even look at the one they had in stock for several months, then quoted $13,900 before tax.

Another dealer quoted the same $ OTD on one stuffed in the corner under an inch of dust.

Local dealer hasn't ordered or sold any (large metro area an hour from the mountains).

Advertised prices are all over the map around here.
  4. satz

satz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    amazing that in new england they have these in stock and in some dealers even 2012 left over.i am yet to see one on the road here locally.

today i was looking at the 2012 left over fjr and he was pushing me towards the tenere as he has not sold 1 yet.
  5. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Regarding supply/demand of the S10 in the US, at the San Mateo (San Francisco area) bike show there were two S10 demo bikes. Test rides "sold out" for the day soon after the show opened, at least on Saturday. Everyone I talked to within a few places of me in the line, wanted to ride the S10. When I asked the Yamaha guy what else was available, he said "Cruisers". I realize that buying is different than taking a free test ride, but I think Yamaha doesn't quite get it.

-dman
  6. japako

japako Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I think Yamaha gets it.. I don't think some of the dealers get it..
  7. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    Got Gear in Jackson, MS (2.5 hours away, but I'm there often for family) "get's it." They have had a demo bike since the initial pre-order run sold out. I rode up one Saturday morning on my 1050 Tiger just to kill some time, and the sales manager Raymond said "You must be here to look at the Yamaha Tenere!"

A new bike was not even on my radar at the time, but he talked me into a test ride. When I got back I said "This will be my next bike, but not today.":lol3

They have sold at least 6 that I know of, which is saying a lot for mid-Mississippi. They have their demo bike right up front as you walk in the door, next to the KTM990's, so I guess they're pushing the bike, and ADV bikes in general, more than most.

By comparison, the owner of the closest Yamaha dealer to me, Village Cycle in Starkville, MS, had never heard of a Tenere until I rode up one day:huh.
  8. White Tenere

White Tenere 49 years on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Went for a great ride today on the Ténéré, 71 and sunny out-clear blue sky's.. Went down PCH then turned left and skirted the Mexican boarder for 20-30 miles east.. Just got home, took a shower and now heading to the opening round of SuperCross in Anaheim!! :dllama
  9. Vbird

Vbird In Room 237

Oddometer:
    Sales are a regional thing. Around here, cruisers and sportbikes with long swingarms are king. Still hard to believe that the local dealer with 2 locations in the middle of 1.5 million people hasn't ordered or sold any.
    Luckily, I'll be in Charlotte in a couple of weeks with my checkbook.

Guess I'm unique!
  10. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    It may be worth noting that the closest BMW dealer to Jackson, MS is over 2 hours away. Makes you wonder if the local Yamaha dealer saw a void that needed filling, while those in markets that have an established purveyor of ADV bikes might not see the reason to try an push another big, heavy ADV bike when the market is already saturated...

Ah well, who really cares anyway.
  11. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer:
    A friend mentioned the local dealer had a grey, and white ST so I went to take a look. They must be selling them quickly because not one salesman came up and asked me if I needed help. Or the KLR I rode up on clued them in that i'm a cheapskate.
  12. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    I found a flaw in our beloved bike...

Long story short, on New Year's Day we had a group ride. I was following a Tenere and saw his brake light come on for an extended period of time and then noticed a nice smell of cooking brake pads. I flagged him down and we checked it out. After some thorough investigatin' we found a rock that was intermittently getting wedged in between the rear brake pedal and the guard for the rear brake lever. The rock was sitting in the hole in the frame for the swing arm pivot. He never noticed it so it must have just been dragging the brake, but his pads were cooked and it was starting to eat the rotor a little.

Rock was here:

[​IMG]

I got home and got to thinking...

Then I went to Lowes. Got a 1 1/2" x 1 7/8" x 1" rubber stopper. Found on the nuts an bolts aisle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to shave a little off the length.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No more rock catcher. Fits snugly but not so tight that it wouldn't come out with a knife.
  13. Super Tenere

Super Tenere Voyager

Oddometer:
    Great write-up and pictures Michael (Anticyclone), great way to make a small simple fix that could otherwise result into some nasty and costly problems down the road, I will do same fix on my bike, because you never know about these things until it has happened to someone.

Jeff
  14. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    I cannot believe no one already took your user name before Dec 2012!
  15. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    :wave

So....what did you think of the S10 after your test ride? :ear I realize the San Mateo show isn't the best place to try one (ride through clogged urban streets for a few blocks....wheeeee), but it's better than no ride at all.....

-SM
  16. ~TABASCO~

~TABASCO~ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anticyclone,

Nice write up... Ill need to take a look as well, do the same mod.....
  17. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    WTF is goin'-on, here?...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Anticyclone

Anticyclone Out

Oddometer:
    Assembly lube. It seeps out the first few times the final drive gets hot. Clean it up with something (simple green, etc) and it shouldn't re-appear. Mine had the same thing.
  19. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:

Whew! Thanks AC! I was startin' to have Euro-bike flashbacks. :eek1

My bike has about 2500 miles on it, and has been washed about three times. So, I figured there was no way it was something that should be gone already (assembly stuff/preservative).

In fact, I was already diggin' thru the brand-new service manual, that my Brother gave me for Christmas. And, I have the mechanical aptitude of a potato. So, that's when shit starts gettin' real interesting, in my garage.

Thanks again...

20. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'll see it again if the splines get overly lubricated at mx or tire changes too.