KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:

Cool, so all I need to do is take a trip to ACE.
    Appreciate it
  2. SkiBumBrian

SkiBumBrian DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer:
    Lazy T... The T on its side. Look for cam lobes facing opposite directions and the lazy T...
  3. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:

Reporting back. I used Moose Racing's foot peg spring part no 1620-0464 and it works perfectly with no cutting, drilling, pounding, bending or frustration! It's listed at the bottom of this pdf parts sheet: http://assets-static.lemansnet.com/sites/mooseracing/pdf/proFootpegs.pdf

'06 KLR650
  4. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that! As cheap as the pegs are, I may order a new pair, for piece of mind if nothing else.

Did you still cut the spacer part off of the pegs? IF not, do you think you could and still use the springs? I like the lower position with spacer cut off.
  5. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got home with an 09! This is my second 09 klr and im stoked to have one in my garage again.

Pics to follow.
  6. Stromius

Stromius Part time danger seeker

Oddometer:
    Deal sealed. Waiting for owner, purchaser and cash to converge Friday! :freaky
  7. RevBill

RevBill Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the collective new (and returning) members .. lol ..
  8. IDRIDR

Oddometer:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "spacer part" of the peg, unless this is the larger diameter portion of the lower support that keeps the peg fitting nice and snug in the peg support, and also something like 1/4" higher than it would be if it were cut off. The spring wraps around that part with the loop of the spring a little larger diameter than this lower part of the peg. I didn't cut anything. I did have to buy a "C" retaining clip because the stock peg had been riding around without one, probably since I bought this thing :baldy
  9. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's what I'm referring to. Do you think that you could cut that part off and move it, and the spring, above the rest of the footpeg? Most people who aren't using springs do just that as it doesn't weaken the peg and allow more boot clearance. I rode mine around the block before cutting that off and it was taller than I liked.
  10. GSMotorrad

GSMotorrad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got a taste of apocalyptic power outages here in Dayton, Ohio. GRIDLOCKED traffic for MILES and miles. Zombies in their cages watching as I maneuver my Mad Max dual sport like a boss. A huge work truck was blocking my street, not enough room for even a tiny car to pass. My Black Twenty Twelve KLR easily squeezed by. LOVE this thing! (If it was even more blocked, one could easily go "off road" around the blockade)

When the streets are littered with immobile cages, downed trees and power lines, the venerable KLR is the perfect escape vehicle! :D
  11. TREADMARKS

TREADMARKS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Old inmate checking in, as I just stumbled across this thread.:D

I picked this 07 up in January past for 1500 bucks to serve as a beater.

After just a few mods:

[​IMG]

After quite a bit of modding:

[​IMG]

I am sure I have spent more on mods than I paid for it to begin with, but I am having incredible fun on this bike.

It no longer rides or feels like the 1500 dollar junker that I bought, and I am a long way from finished.

Anyways, Great thread here! :freaky
  12. IDRIDR

Oddometer:

Maybe? Probably need to put the right spring on the left side & v/v.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I think you are right and I could flip them. Sweet!
  14. JeffinCT

JeffinCT n00b

Oddometer:
    Howdy all. New member here. Taking my MSF course next week and if all goes well I am leaning heavily (pun intended) toward purchasing a 2012 KLR. My concern is my weight. At 6'-3" I weigh in at 330-lbs. I've sat on KLR's at the dealer and the fit is good. Concerned about the suspension. Looking at exploring back roads, dirt roads, logging roads, etc. Very little true off roading. Any thoughts? (beside joining Weight Watchers - LOL Hey, I'm big boned!)

Back in '86 I owned a Honda XR600 and at 300-lbs. back then I had no problems except cramped legs. Cant wait to be riding again!
  15. NHMatt

NHMatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6' tall and 320lbs and it carries me around fine and still has room to hit good bumps. You'll be fine, buy one and enjoy it. Oh yeah, buy a new seat with it. One fat guy to another.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
  16. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:

I'm only 250 lbs, but loaded for camping adds another 80-100 lbs. I've upgraded front and rear suspension, but the original stock handled the task. (I do tend to push the limits.) If/when you feel the need you can easily upgrade the springs alone (cheap) or go whole hog with upgrades (not so cheap). You won't find more bang for the buck.
  17. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    The stock springs will be too light for a decent ride. The good news is that the likes of Rick at Cogent can set you up with a shock with a superior damper and a spring rated for your weight.
  18. Danger4u2

Danger4u2 KX500 is Danger4u2 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree.
    I weigh in at 245, wearing off road gear 270, traveling with tent, tools and all the junk I carry pushes it to 330. I've done some tough single track, nothing hard core. My KLR handled everything quite well. A few years ago I did upgrade the suspension but I use the KLR for street and dirt roads. I think you will do fine sticking to fire roads and easy trails. I would compare you riding a KLR650 to me riding my KLX250 Yea, the suspension is way under sprung but I just hang on tight with my knees. Just ride it for some time and if you get to areas where you bottom out then consider an upgrade.
  19. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    My '09 hauls my ass around plus 70lbs of camping gear all on the stock suspension and it does just fine, even on the TAT I had no problems with it. If I had the $ I would upgrade the rear suspension.:deal
  20. BearBait

BearBait Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've searched and tried to pay attention. I just don't get it. :eek1 I'm not mechanically inclined. I vaguely inderstand what's happening but, I would really love it if someone could just give a SIMPLE explanation of the doo-hickey issue. I've got an 05 KLR with 21k on it. I love this bike and want to do whatever I can to keep it in good order.

Specifically, what am I watching for? Can a noob with basic wrenching skills do this or do I need outside help?

I know it's been asked and over explained. :dhorse I get it. Some patience please !
    Any help is awesome.